• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The WRC label from the UK produced quite a number of sessions licensed from other labels in the USA. Pressings and quality of the issues I've seen are very good for what I presume was a budget label/ record club

Yes, I think it was a mail-order record club that operated through the early to late 60s. Some of their releases were unique to the label (e.g. one of the Tubby Hayes/Paul Gonsalves sessions) whilst others were licensed from US labels. I have the Bill LeSage 'Twice Times Keyboard.' As you say, sound is very acceptable - although the cover art is a bit 'spartan'.

The WRC label from the UK produced quite a number of sessions licensed from other labels in the USA. Pressings and quality of the issues I've seen are very good for what I presume was a budget label/ record club

Yes, I think it was a mail-order record club that operated through the early to late 60s. Some of their releases were unique to the label (e.g. one of the Tubby Hayes/Paul Gonsalves sessions) whilst others were licensed from US labels. I have the Bill LeSage 'Twice Times Keyboard.' As you say, sound is very acceptable - although the cover art is a bit 'spartan'.

Reminds me of another mail-order label that we've discussed here, Jazz Tone. It operated in the period between the late fifties and early sixties and was an offshoot of a classical music mail order company.

Cover art, schmover art. They produced the same cover [a barely discernable small band with a cityscape in the background] in different colours with a virtual who's who of ALL the jazz greats, from the forties and fifties. The first ones were 10" of which I have one and then they went to 12", some of which I also have.

These jazz legends usually did one track each on superb compilation discs, but some of the records were all by the same band. They all had GREAT production values and terrific sound, if you can get unscratched discs. AND they were mono, but excellent sound, clear and true.

I roam the yard sales, used stuff outlets and vintage vinyl shops with my eyes peeled. These are GOLD.

Edited by patricia

Yes Patricia, if it sounds good it is good, that's my mantra..

Currently spinning:

Gordon Beck Trio 'Gyroscope' (Morgan). With Jeff Clyne and Tony Oxley

Thankfully that's on CD - a chance for mere mortals to hear that rare gem! :tup

What a great session, ditto "Experiments With Pops." But it is frightening to know a few people who actually own both of those titles on vinyl.

:ph34r:

Love both of these Gordon Beck LPs - the 'Gyroscope' took some tracking down, to put it mildly ! It is nearish-to-mint but needed some playing in before the sonics came to life. 'Experiments with Pops' is the one that sounds particularly astonishing on the vinyl though. Worth snapping up if seen ( :eye::crazy: ).

Edited by sidewinder

Thank you, StormP, for showing the Getz cover. :wub:

One more reason that I collect vinyl, the beauty of the COVER ART.

Of course, there are nice CD covers and just as much care and love goes into composing them.

But the size of a CD jewelcase hampers them from having the same impact, I think.

Edited by patricia

Thank you, StormP, for showing the Getz cover. :wub:

One more reason that I collect vinyl, the beauty of the COVER ART

Of course, there are nice CD covers and just as much care and love goes into composing them.

But the size of a CD jewelcase hampers them from having the same impact, I think.

Another great David Stone Martin design!

The Getz at the Shrine date was also issued as a double LP with a different cover. A darkish black and white closeup of Getz playing saxophone with a yellow background. Not as effective as the DSM one!

Now playing:

Stan Getz Special, vol. 1 In Quartet feat. Scott LaFaro/Roy Haynes (Raretone), the 1961 Newport Festival. LaFaro died in a car crash a couple of days after his Newport appearance.

Shhhh, Brownie. If the artists and distributers find out that there are crazy people out here that will buy another copy of something we already have, they'll be releasing it several different great covers. What to do? What to do? :w

Porcy62, you may be among a relative few, compared to Miles Davis' earlier work. I know that his electric period is not my favourite. However, I certainly understand that he wanted to evolve and his electric period was part of that evolution.

Edited by patricia

Shhhh, Brownie.  If the artists and distributers find out that there are crazy people out here that will buy another copy of something we already have, they'll be releasing it several different great covers.    What to do?  What to do? :w

Porcy62, you may be among a relative few, compared to Miles Davis' earlier work.  I know that his electric period is not my favourite.  However, I certainly understand that he wanted to evolve and his electric period was part of that evolution.

Maybe it depends on my musical first love: Frank Zappa.

For me is really hard to listen to early jazz, I own several records of Armstrong, Basie, Duke, ecc.., but every time I have to put on an LP I always go for modern stuff.

Edited by porcy62