• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Miles Davis 'Tune Up' (Prestige twofer). Great sleeve notes by Conrad Silvert  :tup

Sidewinder, what are YOU doing with a twofer?!?

Roughing it.. :g

No, seriously - I have a whole stack of those Prestige 2LP sets. The Sonny Rollins was just about the first jazz LP I ever got when it first came out. I have most of the early series (24000?) US pressings and just love them. Very under-rated (unless you happen to have NY deep groove mints of the whole catalogue I guess..)

Yeah, I came along to it a little later so I had the dubious luxury of OJCs and the occasional Japanese issue to work with... I mean, sure, you get the original cover art but they're off-tint one-piece flimsy things. Ugh. But then again, I have like five originals, all fairly noisy in the quiet spots, so...

The beauty of those green-label twofers are that they are analog, no DMM bullshit. In addition the early ones had reasonably chunky vinyl and were well re-mastered. I prefer the early US pressings on that first batch with 'Davis', 'Coltrane', 'Lateef' etc. in big bold letters on the front. Some of the later ones I have seem to have been pressed in France by the 'America' operation and they are not quite so good (sorry Brownie - no offence :mellow: ).

Similar story with the Savoy reissues put out by Arista. Some fantastic stuff on those !

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, I guess the DMM factor is the problem with OJC LPs. They just never sound 'right' to me. I'll even take a blue label Prestige reissue (or a purple New Jazz), but even those are tough to come by in nice shape. Don't think I have any of the twofers anymore - went out with a major culling a few years back, along with a lot of other things I'd forgotten about... :mellow:

The beauty of those green-label twofers are that they are analog, no DMM bullshit. In addition the early ones had reasonably chunky vinyl and were well re-mastered. I prefer the early US pressings on that first batch with 'Davis', 'Coltrane', 'Lateef' etc. in big bold letters on the front. Some of the later ones I have seem to have been pressed in France by the 'America' operation and they are not quite so good (sorry Brownie - no offence  :mellow: ).

No offense indeed and no problem. I have been wise enough to keep most of the yellow label vinyls of many of those Prestige!