• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And sidewinder, you really must get a copy of Curried Jazz. It is a great record!

Yes, a friend of mine has a copy and keeps going on about how great it is ( ;) ). Can usually be picked up around the £15 to £20 mark, thankfully.

It originally came out I think on the MFP budget label. Their usual 'fare' was Bert Kaempfert, 'Top Of The Pops' cover compilations etc.

And sidewinder, you really must get a copy of Curried Jazz. It is a great record!

Yes, a friend of mine has a copy and keeps going on about how great it is ( ;) ). Can usually be picked up around the £15 to £20 mark, thankfully.

It originally came out I think on the MFP budget label. Their usual 'fare' was Bert Kaempfert, 'Top Of The Pops' cover compilations etc.

Yeah, I don't think I've seen another desirable title on MFP - which makes Curried Jazz all the more interesting.

Larry Young  Into Something' NY stereo

Only stereo? :g:excited:

Just giving an 'airing' to Baby Face Willette 'Stop and Listen' (BN NY USA mono). Not the greatest of sleeves but the vinyl kicks ass..

Clifford - 'MFPs' were about 10s/50p when they came out in the 1960s/70s, by the way. About the cheapest LPs on the market at the time (along with Ronco, K-Tel etc.)

Edited by sidewinder

Battle of the Bands - Woody Herman and his Herd vs. Harry James and his Music Makers. <> Pickwick Label

Woody Herman and the Herd - Blowin' Up A Storm <>Sunset Label

Jimmy Diamond and the Notorious Nob Hill Gang <>Nob Hill Gang Records.

Great sepia-toned photograph of the band on the cover, sitting in a 1922 seven passenger, double-cowled Packard Phaeton, in front of the Fairmont Hotel.

Terrific Dixieland. :party:

Edited by patricia

Playing catch up...

Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights -- A nicely done 2LP gatefold release with a side of vinyl only tracks including Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash covers. Great stuff.

Johnny Griffin - Live in Tokyo -- Another 2LP gatefold on Inner City with Horace Parlan, Art Taylor and a guy named Mads Vinding on bass. Aside from a short JJ Johnson tune on Side 2, it's one track per side making for some nice, long blowin' by Griffin and Parlan in particular.

Joe Puma - Wild Kitten -- Dawn reissue on Sundazed Euphoria Jazz imprint. Entertaining, if not a bit disconcerting given the prominence given to the accordian... have to get used to that I guess. :D

Sonny Rollins - Alternate Takes -- Mid 80's issue of three unreleased tracks each from Way Out West and The Contemporary Leaders. Given how much I enjoy both of the original albums, I'm not sure these are essential... nice to have though.

Jimmy Smith - The Sermon! -- Mono, deep groove, West 63rd St. Culled from the dollar bins at this month's record convention! :tup

Jimmy Smith - Prayer Meetin' -- Stereo, NY USA from the same $1 bin.

Dave Brubeck - Brubeck Desmond -- Fantasy deep groove red vinyl. Yet another from the two old ladies selling their hubbies' LP's in the corner for $1 each. The trusty DJ bag was overflowing from that booth alone!

Need to revisit the two Ornette Coleman Stockholm BN dates on the big rig... they're all I listened to on the iPod during this week's trip to ATL.

Coleman Hawkins - Clark Terry 'Back in Bean's Bag' (Columbia stereo)

The Jazz Messengers 'Des Femmes Disparaissent' French Fontana 10" original, soundtrack music (the 1959 Messengers with Barney Wilen) to the awful film by Edouard Molinaro which played on French cable this week! Music is much better than the film!