• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just listened to Duke Ellington and his Orchestra: "... and his mother called him Bill" on both original RCA Dynagroove and Speakers Corner reissue. (I bought the Speakers Corner about a year ago to get a better pressing. My RCA has a few small flaws. I wouldn't normally have done this, but I truly love this recording.)

The RCA sounds as if it has some artificial reverb added, while the Speakers Corner has a flatter, somewhat less lively sound. This may get me thrown off the vinyl forum, but there are times when I prefer the RCA, even though it's probably not as "true" to what was recorded. I'm keeping both, anyway, and will listen to either as the mood strikes me.

A couple of thoughts:

The opening to U.M.M.G. - Ellington and Clark Terry before the full band enters - sounds almost to me like something Cecil Taylor might have done in the very early 60's. Of course, there are those who will say that Cecil Taylor being influenced by Ellington is paying lip service and nothing more, but I hear it clearly here. (I've heard it for many years, but it just came across on this record for the first time.)

Whenever I play this, I always reread Duke Ellington's words about Billy Strayhorn:

"He demanded freedom of expression and lived in what we consider the most important of moral freedoms: freedom from hate, unconditionally; freedom from all self-pity (even throughout all the pain and bad news); freedom from fear of possibly doing something that might help another more than it might help himself; and freedom from the kind of pride that could make a man feel he was better than his brother or neighbor."

I don't always live up to those words, but I feel it's important that I read them.

Rarest of Rarest:

--- Woody Herman - Civilization from Capitol Xmas 1947 - That's the one that goes "Bongo, Bongo, Bongo, I don't want to leave the Congo etc. etc.

The band has Stan Getz and Herbie Haymer in it. I once asked Stan Getz about it. I can't repeat his answer here, but he was in one of his "MOODS".

30 seconds later he was talking to my wife in Danish, charming as he could be, signing his autograph, laughing it up.

Like Wow Man! Wow!

This is one of my rarest Woody Herman's. Never on LP. Part of my Woody Herman in Disco Order.

ALMOST COMPLETE WH! ALMOST?? Like Wow Man!

Svend Asmussen quintet also did Civilization, somewhere in 1955?? on Odeon?

If you want the words and music, just say Bongo, Bongo, Bongo.

Hi Hi

:D:tup:crazy::tup:w

The J. Geils Band-1st self-titled Lp- Side 2 - tracks 1&2: Homework & First I Look At The Purse. Hell-yeah!

They (or at least Peter Wolf) knew what tunes to cover. I knew The Contours' version of "Purse" from when it came out, but they led me to Otis Rush's original recording of "Homework". I hope they turned some other people on to the originals.