Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This "deep groove" shit drives me nuts.

It only is the kind of mold/tools for stampers and record presses. Don't have shit to do about the quality but it can date some pressings if you know the plant. I've had plenty of pressings with a "deep groove" on one side and not on the reverse. I want some "serious collector" to 'splain that.

It only is the kind of mold/tools for stampers and record presses. Don't have shit to do about the quality but it can date some pressings if you know the plant. I've had plenty of pressings with a "deep groove" on one side and not on the reverse. I want some "serious collector" to 'splain that.

One side was pressed on the old equipment and the other was pressed on the new equipment. You see this all the time on Blue Notes from the 1960-66 period. Plastylite bought new equipment in 1960 and it was hit-or-miss as far as the "deep groove" goes from that point forward. Before the Kenny Drew LP "Undercurrent" ALL Blue Notes were deep groove. What is really funny is that you can have a pressing from 1966 that has deep grooves in both sides and ORIGINAL 46 W 63rd labels, thus making it a "first pressing" to collectors even though it isn't.

According to Larry Cohn (who knows more about this shit that anyone on earth), ALL first pressings after 4059 would have been made on the "new" equipment and would therefore have NO deep grooves.

As far as other labels go, I don't know that I have seen alot of records with the deep groove on one side only--but I haven't really looked that closely. I do know that all NYC Prestiges have deep grooves in both sides--at least all the ones I have.

Edited by Allan Songer

One side was pressed on the old equipment and the other was pressed on the new equipment.

Both sides are/were pressed at the same time. :)

See what I mean about this "info" driving me nuts.

Well,. of course the record is stamped in one fell swoop! From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm full of crap!) the deep groove is created by a die attached to the pressing equipment and is independent of the stampers. A different die can be used on each side of the stamping machine, so if one replacement die is new (new format) and the other is old (deep groove die) you get the random look of dg- 1 side. These dies get wear and tear and must be replaced but they did not replace the pair at once, only the one that needed it. I have disks with identical stamper information, but which disagree as to the deep groove or lack thereof on one or both sides, so the stampers were compatible with both dg and new non-dg die fitted machines.

I really don't understand why "it drives you nuts" if someone mentions he/she played a deep groove Blue Note LP. Vinyl collector love discussing these kind of things, why don't you just ignore these discussions if they bother you so much...

Just curious - Is there any established correlation between "deep groove" and sound quality?

Communis opinio under collectors is that, generally speaking, original Blue Note pressings of the end of the 50's - beginning of the 60's do sound better than later pressings. However, this does not neccesarily mean that ALL deep groove pressings sound better than non-dg pressings or that there is no difference between dg pressings.

For instance, I have two deep groove pressings of Something Else by Cannonball Adderley (BN 1595), one pressed on very thick vinyl, with the 47 W address on the label without "Inc" and the trademark and the other with a slightly later label (with Inc and trademark). The first, which I regard as "original" pressing, sounds remarkably better than the second one (very clear sonics and deep bass).

As Alan pointed out, at some point the DG stampers or whatever equipment was used that caused the deep groove, was fased out for first pressings. However, later pressings of non-dg titles may reoccur with dg on one or both sides. In THESE cases the DG pressings obviously do not sound beter than their non-dg predecessors. Pffff, not a very easy subject to explain. I hope Chuck won't become even more disgusted... :)

Ian Carr 'Belladonna' (Vertigo 'swirl' label). Watching the label go round is better than watching the TV ( :wacko: ) and any album with a track titled 'Hector's House' automatically gets a :tup from me.

Jimmy Smith 'Crazy Baby' (BN 47W63rd mono DG side 1)

Edited by sidewinder