• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So you're spinning the original Turtle? Nice...

I've got the Turtle of the Osborne (that one and the John Taylor 'Pause and Think Again'). The 'Outback' by the way did come out on CD (FMP?) - not sure if it's still in print.

Both Outback and Shapes are still available, although I'm not sure if they're in print (my CD issue of Outback is a pretty good sounding master with a pretty shodding packaging job--listed under the "FMR Legacy" imprint).

I've got the Turtle of the Osborne (that one and the John Taylor 'Pause and Think Again'). The 'Outback' by the way did come out on CD (FMP?) - not sure if it's still in print.

FMR did bootlegs of those Turtle sessions. They're interesting, though I'm not sure I'd say anything watershed occurs on them. Not for me, anyway.

The Howard Riley is pretty cool, though.

I recall that Turtle itself had a somewhat interesting history and was very short lived. A spin off by producer Pete Eden after leaving Deram (and right at the runt end of the 1960s British jazz 'boom' when things started to go pear-shaped financially). They were produced in very limited numbers with limited distribution and (naturally) sold poorly in the UK. I suspect there were probably more copies distributed to Continental Europe.

I recall that Turtle itself had a somewhat interesting history and was very short lived. A spin off by producer Pete Eden after leaving Deram (and right at the runt end of the 1960s British jazz 'boom' when things started to go pear-shaped financially). They were produced in very limited numbers with limited distribution and (naturally) sold poorly in the UK. I suspect there were probably more copies distributed to Continental Europe.

Very interesting. Thanks. Your comment about Ogun being a poor-selling endeavour is curious, too - though I guess they were pressed in larger numbers and sold elsewhere in Europe, and also in the States.

I haven't had much trouble finding original Ogun LPs, but the only Turtle vinyl I've seen was at a friend's house, who got three of them for VERY cheap...

Very interesting. Thanks. Your comment about Ogun being a poor-selling endeavour is curious, too - though I guess they were pressed in larger numbers and sold elsewhere in Europe, and also in the States.

I haven't had much trouble finding original Ogun LPs, but the only Turtle vinyl I've seen was at a friend's house, who got three of them for VERY cheap...

The Ogun's were definitely pressed in much larger quantities than the Turtles. Your friend was very lucky - all are scarce but the Taylor 'Pause and Think Again' is a real pig to get hold of (and is an absolute beauty IMO). "Big in Japan".

Edited by sidewinder

FMR did bootlegs of those Turtle sessions. They're interesting, though I'm not sure I'd say anything watershed occurs on them. Not for me, anyway.

Is bootleg really the proper terminology here? I was always always under the impression that they at least got Osborne's permission... (and so I'm still, on some level, smarting at the sheer volume of bootlegs/sordid releases coming out of the UK/SA jazz reissue axis)

Is bootleg really the proper terminology here? I was always always under the impression that they at least got Osborne's permission... (and so I'm still, on some level, smarting at the sheer volume of bootlegs/sordid releases coming out of the UK/SA jazz reissue axis)

Well, Osborne being under longtime care for mental illness(es), the thought of him giving permission is kind of surprising. I was told that the Turtle reissues were unauthorized (by a reliable source), but I'd be pleased to hear something different and more reliable.

I hadn't heard about it, and other sources (like Penguin, for example) don't seem to have picked up on it. I'd think that there'd be cooperation from someone (e.g., someone with access to tapes), granted the fact that Shapes contains previously unreleased material. Too bad, as the situation with at least pseudo-legitimate labels reissuing without permission only compounds the royalty hazards ingrained in the CDR trade (e.g., with DMG).