Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finding the Fela Kuti thread last night prompted me to have a Fela afternoon

Fela Anikulapo Kuti - Coffin for head of state - Kalakuta (French pressing)

Fela Anikulapo Kuti & Roy Ayers - Music of many colours - Phonodisk Nigeria orig

Fela Ransome Kuti - Gentleman - EMI Nigeria (Creole UK)

Fela Anikulapo Kuti - Perambulator - Lagos International orig

Fela Anikulapo Kuti - Authority stealing - Kalakuta orig (includes original skips, for which there is an apology n the sleeve note - and also Fela's broadsheet, YAP News - the pride of my Fela collection)

MG

Fela Anikulapo Kuti - Perambulator - Lagos International orig

Now that sounds like a cool name for a label - 'Lagos International'. Up there with 'Thoth Intergalactic' in the cool label stakes. :rsmile:

Yeah, it certainly beats the hell out of Decca West Africa.

Playing

Slide Hampton - Explosion - Atlantic stereo green/blue label - Ronnie Cuber is the baddest MF on this!

MG

zippo. No phono stage at the moment. Surviving on CDs ! <_<

:o Sorry to hear that!

Spinning today:

Clarke-Boland Big Band 'Latin Kaleidoscope' (British MPS pressing). Extremely listenable album, probably the CBBB recording I listen to the most.

latin.jpg

Oscar Peterson 'Walking the Line' (German MPS). Somewhat hysterical, with an absurd version of 'Windmills of Your Mind'.

g95171v6fj8.jpg

Laurindo Almeida/Bud Shank 'Brazilliance Vol. 2' (World Pacific repressing from 1962)

1227201.jpg

zippo. No phono stage at the moment. Surviving on CDs ! <_<

:o Sorry to hear that!

Not to worry. There is a silver lining - the demo unit went back and my super dooper pan-galactic new phono stage arrives end of month ! :)

That 'Latin Kaleidoscope' is an excellent album and is very well recorded. Recall that a friend of mine many years ago who did competitive ballroom dancing said he was sure that they used that album in some competitions for the 'latin' category. :blink:

Incidentally - my copy looks just like the one in your photo and I think it is a French MPS pressing. Great sound.

Edited by sidewinder

Incidentally - my copy looks just like the one in your photo and I think it is a French MPS pressing. Great sound.

I stole the picture from the net. My cover has the square MPS logo (LP label also says "BASF" and "Made in England"). Have not encountered many English MPS pressings, but this one sounds as good as the German ones (which I've found is not always the case with the French pressings).

So, what will be the first LP through the new phono stage? :)

Edited by Daniel A

That would be an MPS/BASF pressing - which indeed were produced over here. I have a 'More Smiles' in that pressing (the very first LP I ever bought - 1974 - I bought it for the picture on the cover :lol: no, only kidding ) and it is still damn well mint. Incredible !!

This particular French pressing of 'Kaleidoscope' sounds stunning so it must have got through the QA net :D

Edited by sidewinder

We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite (Candid OG, Stereo 9002)

Pride of my collection. I just went through every emotion thanks to Abbey and Max.

380009997273.jpg

Word. I remember the first time I heard this and I immediately played it again. it is such powerful music. Usually when I listen to it I stop listening to music when it is done because i just can't sem to follow it up. An absolutely essential record.