Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tadd Dameron; Fontainebleau; OJC/Prestige

Have the original Prestige LP of that, bought in the 60s. The music has stood the test of time, but not the cover - front and back are parting company. :tdown

A real classic. Still sounds great today.

Now, as it's next to Dameron on the shelf -

Ted Curson; Fire Down Below; OJC/Prestige

Edited by JohnS

Tadd Dameron; Fontainebleau; OJC/Prestige

Have the original Prestige LP of that, bought in the 60s. The music has stood the test of time, but not the cover - front and back are parting company. :tdown

A real classic. Still sounds great today.

Now, as it's next to Dameron on the shelf -

Ted Curson; Fire Down Below; OJC/Prestige

Alphabetical order, indeed! I'm more into something resembling chronological myself, though it's difficult, I admit!

Found a near mint copy of Mel Lewis' "Got' cha", (San Francisco) Jazz Records 2 today for 15 bucks. Wow - what a great LP. Sounds WAY superior compared with the blurred sounds from the Spanish hack-job CD I bought years ago...

Grachan Moncur III - New Africa (Actuel/BYG original)

Grachan Moncur III - Aco Dei De Madrugada (One Morning I waked Up Very Early) (Actuel/BYG original)

New Africa might be the best sounding BYG album that I've heard. All of the instruments are balanced just right. The bass sounds very natural. Definitely one of my favorites by Moncur.

I wish all of the original Actuel/BYG tapes will turn up soon. Alas.

John Tchicai and Cadentia Nova Danica - Cadentia Nova Danica (Freedom/Trio Records)*

John Tchicai and Cadentia Nova Danica - Afrodisiaca (MPS)

*Question - the recording put out by Trio sounds a little distant/muddy. How does the Polydor version compare?

John Tchicai and Cadentia Nova Danica - Cadentia Nova Danica (Freedom/Trio Records)*

*Question - the recording put out by Trio sounds a little distant/muddy. How does the Polydor version compare?

Polydor is the same - I've had both. Live recording in Aarhus, Denmark, and I've always really liked the spacey din that the record has.

Illinois Jacquet--The Message (Argo, mono)--in near mint condition, sounds fabulous.

Arnett Cobb with Eddie Lockjaw Davis--Blow Arnett Blow (Prestige, yellow and black N.J. mono)

Chico Hamilton--The Head Hunters (Solid State)--wow, where has this great record been hiding? (with Ray Nance on violin, Eric Gayle on guitar, Steve Potts alto).