• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Taking a page from the Book of the Magnificent Goldberg: "Back-Stabbers" by my homeboy Reverend Jasper Williams (Mainstream). After this fire-breathing sermon, I'm glad I'm not a back-stabber - the Rev. lets 'em have it!

Cor! Is that on Bob Shad's Mainstream label, or some other Mainstream label?

This afternoon/evening, it's been

Milt Buckner & Buddy Tate - Midnght slows vol 4 - Black & Blue

Mildred Clark & the Melodaires - I can't give up now - Savoy

Rev Leo Daniels - Looking for a bargain - Peacock

MG

Taking a page from the Book of the Magnificent Goldberg: "Back-Stabbers" by my homeboy Reverend Jasper Williams (Mainstream). After this fire-breathing sermon, I'm glad I'm not a back-stabber - the Rev. lets 'em have it!

It's Shad's label - "Spiritual Series" from 1974.

Do you have any stuff by Rev. Willie Morganfield? He was Muddy Waters' cousin and preached at the Bell Grove Baptist Church in Clarksdale, Mississippi. I have a sermon on cassette and a CD of songs (on Jewel) by the Rev.

It's Shad's label - "Spiritual Series" from 1974.

Ah, so that's after his early Jewel stuff and before his later Jewel stuff :)

Do you have any stuff by Rev. Willie Morganfield? He was Muddy Waters' cousin and preached at the Bell Grove Baptist Church in Clarksdale, Mississippi. I have a sermon on cassette and a CD of songs (on Jewel) by the Rev.

I've been interested in him for some time, through seeing his LPs advertised on the back of other Jewel records, but never seen any. Never knew he was Muddy's cousin. I'm hoping Atlanta International will get round to reissuing some of his Jewel material.

MG

Those Adams/Pullen titles surprise me. Have I missed something? I know both musicians worked in the Soul Jazz area earlier in their careers, but thought that they were making stuff that verged from Hard Bop to Avant when they got together.

MG

All That Funk and More Funk are live recordings in the same style as their Timeless, Horo, Blue Note and Soul Note recordings.

Those Adams/Pullen titles surprise me. Have I missed something? I know both musicians worked in the Soul Jazz area earlier in their careers, but thought that they were making stuff that verged from Hard Bop to Avant when they got together.

MG

All That Funk and More Funk are live recordings in the same style as their Timeless, Horo, Blue Note and Soul Note recordings.

I'd say it's pretty hard to put those recordings into a strict category. I wouldn't consider it experimental, but they definitely explore a bit. That being said, some of those tunes, though, are just really soulful blues, even with vocals. I think you'd definitely enjoy, MG!

MG

I read somewhere recently that jazz-loving Conservative politician Kenneth Clarke broke the "rules" for Desert Island Discs by failing to include any classical pieces. In fact, complained the critic, he limited his choice solely to tenor saxophonists! I heard the programme and remember him enthusing about Adams and Pullen, whom I think he'd heard at Ronnie's.

Edited by BillF

Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton, Teddy Wilson - Selections From "The Benny Goodman Movie" (Speakers Corners Cleff Reissue)

Cool Jazz at Saint-Germain-des-Pres ( A nifty 10" disc from the Jazz In Paris series featuring the Armand Migiani Nonet and the Michel de Villers Sextet)

Dexter Gordon & Slide Hampton - A Day In Compenhagen (MPS)

Elvin Jones - Poly Currents (Blue Note DMM reissue)