• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lucky Thompson and his Orchestra on Jazz Kings (1206)

Lucky T w/ Jimmy Hamilton, cl; Billy Taylor, p; Sidney Gross, g; Oscar Pettiford, b; Osie Johnson, ds;

Tune for Tex

Where or When

Kamman's Coming

Ever So Easy

Mr. E-Z

Mike Weil's discography tells me this was recorded in 1954 and reissued on Freshsound

Couw, that Lucky Thompson LP was originally released on Urania. 'Accent on Tenor' was its original name. Excellent album.

Now playing - and amazed at the sound - the mono original of Art Pepper 'Gettin' Together' on Contemporary. It hardly could get better!

Couw, that Lucky Thompson LP was originally released on Urania. 'Accent on Tenor' was its original name. Excellent album.

second that last remark. :tup I particularly like Hamilton's dirty down clarinet here. From Mike's discography I gathered as much about it being on Urania, thanks for pointing me to the title. Mike lists an additional tune titled "Fascinating Rhythm," that was not on the LP I believe, but on a later reissue (?).

Finally having some time to REvisit some of my collection...

Sonny Rollins: Now's The Time(RCA) Classic reissue

Killer music and IMO a killer reissue by Classic. Anyone else think so?

Big, booming tone on Sonny's tenor. Deep and detailed bass.

Like many live shows, the bass on many jazz records is not as present as I like.

Edited by wolff

Thought I would start the day with a bit of Coltrane who died on this day in 1967. Been meaning to relisten to one of my favorite track 'The Wise One' from the Crescent album. Awesome...

And I keep playing the rest of that LP. Have the mono original. RVG recording. Superb!

I love the way Coltrane and the group are captured on that 'Crescent' album. Sublime !

Bit of a West Coast hard bop binge this morning. Currently giving Jimmy Woods 'Awakening' a spin. Contemporary 'black/yellow' label. To be followed by Harold Land 'The Fox' on HiFi Jazz. :tup