What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Prokofieff:  Symphony No. 7/Overture Russe/Martinon/ Paris CO (RCA Living stereo/Classic Records reissue, 45 rpm 4 disc set)  Could listen to this endlessly if I didn't have to get up so often. :)

No changer? <_<

We can only assume that Wolff maintains his boyish, snake-like hips by hopping up from the sofa every three minutes and running over to his record-player to change the record.;)

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A changer?? Haven't seen one of those in years.

These are 12", one sided, 180/200 gram slabs, with 8-10 minutes per side.

These are a nice product, but not very practical. I only get them when I find them deeply discounted. Classic Records has been giving this treatment to a large chunk of the RCA Living Stereo catalog over the years.

The 100, 2 sided, 45rpm Fantasy jazz titles being produced by Analogue Productions are probably a better idea, but the price tag is pretty steep and they never go on sale.

A changer?? Haven't seen one of those in years. 

These are 12", one sided, 180/200 gram slabs, with 8-10 minutes per side.

These are a nice product, but not very practical.  I only get them when I find them deeply discounted. Classic Records has been giving this treatment to a large chunk of the RCA Living Stereo catalog over the years. 

The 100,  2 sided, 45rpm Fantasy jazz titles being produced by Analogue Productions are probably a better idea, but the price tag is pretty steep and they never go on sale.

Wolff, are 12" 45s common?? I bought my first one [a Ray Charles from the mid-sixties that has three songs on two sides] quite by accident. I only knew it was a 45 because Ray sounded uncharacteristically lively. I simply wild-guessed that it should be playing on the 45RPM setting. :blush:

It's on the turntable now. Wonderful.

Edited by patricia

I'm trying to catch up with some of my vinyl purches, so I've been spinning:

Herbie Hancock - V.S.O.P.

Andrew Hill - Black Fire (Liberty re-issue)

Cannonball Adderley - The Japanese Concerts (two-fer)

Fandango - ZZ Top - London label

The Blues - Ray Charles - Hurrah label

This is an interesting collection in that it's Charles while he was still jazz.

The tracks:

She's On The Ball

All Out Blues

Blues Before Sunrise

Happy Feet Blues

Alone In The City

Someday

Lovin' Time Blues

Can Anyone Ask For More

Blues For Lloyd

Big Feet Shuffle Blues

Jazz Giants 5 record set which includes

Peggy Lee

Les Brown

Stan Kenton

Fats Waller

Nat King Cole

Muggsy Spanier

Phil Napoleon

Woody Herman

Benny Goodman

Count Basie Orchestra

Charlie Barnet & Orchestra

Artie Shaw & His Gramercy Five

Harry James

Duke Ellington

etc.

These are really good sets and were quite cheap when they were issued.

Nice.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk The Case of the 3 Sided Dream in Audio Color (Atlantic), all three sides...

Never saw the vinyl, tell me, is the 10+ minute silence and the "telephone conversation" on the fourth side, or how was this constructed?

Great album BTW, very nicely connected through all the snippets and sounds

Rahsaan Roland Kirk The Case of the 3 Sided Dream in Audio Color (Atlantic), all three sides...

Never saw the vinyl, tell me, is the 10+ minute silence and the "telephone conversation" on the fourth side, or how was this constructed?

Side 4 is all silent grooves except for a short (about one minute) phone conversation from Rahsaan at the end of it!

Missed this until I saw it mentioned several years ago!

Side 4 is all silent grooves except for a short (about one minute) phone conversation from Rahsaan at the end of it!

Missed this until I saw it mentioned several years ago!

it scared me a whole lot when I spun the CD one day and was busy with other things when it had ended and all of a sudden Rahsaan was breathing loud into my speakers! Then the "3 sided" part of the title suddenly made sense to me, but I never got around to asking whether my idea was correct. So thanks for confirming. Judging from your missing out on it for all that time, I guess these "gimmicks" were not all that effective in the LP era. Rahsaan was much ahead of his time!

Edited by couw