What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Pee Wee Russell/Red Allen 'The College Concert' (Impulse).

Thoroughly enjoyable concert which opens with a wonderful interpretation of 'Blue Monk'.

Not an essential album but lots of great moments including Pee Wee Russell's rendition of 'Pee Wee Blues'" :tup

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charlie Rouse featuring Red Rodney: Social Call

Re: 9Winds

I just picked up John Rapson: Deeba Dah-Bwee and will be spinning that one this afternoon.

I'm not too sure if their early catalog made it to CD. The only 9Winds CD I have is Bert Wilson: Live at the Zoo.

I recently picked up a bunch of Vinny Golia--great stuff.

I'm sure you've checked their Web site out, but just in case here is a link.

9winds

Edited by alejo

Thoroughly enjoyable concert which opens with a wonderful interpretation of 'Blue Monk'.

Not an essential album but lots of great moments including Pee Wee Russell's rendition of 'Pee Wee Blues'" :tup

Another :tup for this one.

Charlie Haden - believe that he was just returning to the scene around this time - plays some very fine bass on this, too.

Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster (Verve/Classic Records)

This was one of the first jazz recordings I ever really paid attention to, and it really helped turn me on to jazz. I heard it as a CD, and it started with "Blues for Yolanda," which is still one of my favorite tunes to this day. I had been listening to mostly rock up to that point, and a college friend turned me on to this. He also had LP copies of Miles Davis 'Walkin" and Bill Evans "Sunday at the Village Vanguard." I remember listening to those and then going to School Kids Records in Athens, Ohio (we were at Ohio Universtiy) and picking up LPs of Bill Evans "Portrait in Jazz" and Milt Jackson and Wes Montgomery "Bags Meets Wes." Little did I know then how much i would come to love this stuff.

Re: 9Winds

I just picked up John Rapson: Deeba Dah-Bwee and will be spinning that one this afternoon.

I'm not too sure if their early catalog made it to CD. The only 9Winds CD I have is Bert Wilson: Live at the Zoo.

I recently picked up a bunch of Vinny Golia--great stuff.

I'm sure you've checked their Web site out, but just in case here is a link.

9winds

Thanks for the web address.

Looks like only a couple of Nine Winds LPs were issued on cd.

On top of that, they no longer sell LPs. Used to sell them for $7 per not too long ago.

Imo that means it would be a good idea to pick up those records; odds are they're not going to be reissued any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Now back to the black gold -

Oscar Peterson - The Personal Touch, on Pablo.

Not my cuppa tee, so in the "for sale/trade" pile it goes.

Oregon - Distant Hills, on Vaguard.

A perfect album to accompany one on the journey into the land of Zzzzzzz's.

Which is what I shall do presently.

Edited by Dmitry

Another :tup for this one.

Charlie Haden - believe that he was just returning to the scene around this time - plays some very fine bass on this, too.

The whole rhythm section on that one is ON. Not only Haden but Steve Kuhn and Marty Morell. A full quintet with a very odd assembly and it worked.

There must be more music from the concert than what was released. Hope the album gets reissued with additional material.

By the way, the engineer is unlisted but whoever was in control did a great job!

Looks like only a couple of Nine Winds LPs were issued on cd.

On top of that, they no longer sell LPs. Used to sell them for $7 per not too long ago.

Imo that means it would be a good idea to pick up those records; odds are they're not going to be reissued any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Cadence lists about 20 titles on wax for $8 each, if you did not know.

Edited by wolff

Dmitry............not too many people that I have found are into Saxomania. Great group. Great sound. I have the Benny Carter also. Do you have the one with Phil Woods? Great. Also the one with Marlene Ver Plank on vocals and one with Spike Robinson,

There's one I've been searching for called "Sax Connections" Ida 038. Do you have that? I think it may be CD only.

Dmitry............not too many people that I have found are into Saxomania. Great group. Great sound. I have the Benny Carter also. Do you have the one with Phil Woods? Great. Also the one with Marlene Ver Plank on vocals and one with Spike Robinson,

There's one I've been searching for called "Sax Connections" Ida 038. Do you have that? I think it may be CD only.

Hi,

The one with Benny Carter is the only one have.

What I love about vinyl is that horizons can be widened for as little as $1 or $2; that's how much I paid for my copy.

I'll be on the look-out for more. Totally agree with you, great music and great sound!

Up for tonight are:

Roy Brooks "The Free Slave" 1970 live date with Woody Shaw, George Coleman, Cecil McBee and Hugh lawson. Muse Records.

and

"Bobby Bradford with John Stevens and the Spontaneous Music Ensemble, Vol one"

A 1971 date with Trevor Watts (alto) and soprano), Bob Norden (trombone), Julie Tippetts (voice), Ron Herman (bass) and John Stevens (drums). Nessa Records, 1980

Shorty Rogers and Bud Shank - Back Again, on Choice Records, a 1984 UK recording that is sadly not on cd, but deserves to be.

Shank and Rogers are backed by a British big band under the helm of Vic Lewis.

Side A is a studio date featuring a Bill Holman's tune titled Shorty and a 4-part 20 minute long suite by Shorty Rogers auspiciously christened 'Bud Shank'.

Side B is a live recording of the same band, with Shank doing much of the soloing.

Wonderful playing from Shank and Rogers, especially Shank, very good arrangements by Bill Holman and as an added bonus Kenny Clarke's presence on the drums.

I believe this is one of the last Shank albums featuring his flute playing, and perhaps one of the last Klook recordings as well, if not the last.

Edited by Dmitry

Jimmy Rowles & Red Mitchell 'Red 'N Me' (AllLife).

July 21, 1978 (26 years ago to the day) must have been a busy day for Jimmy Rowles who happened to be in Paris. He recorded four albums in that single day:

two - 'Nature Boy' and 'Scarab' - for Musica, 'Shade And Light' for Ahead, and 'Red 'N Me'. All are excellent but that 'Red 'N Me' remains my favorite.

It opens with a superb version of Wayne Shorter's 'Mama G' which is the start of 42 minutes of pure happiness that ends with the last tune Gus Arnheim's 'It Must Be True'.

When those LPs came out I remember thinking that that was a bit too much. Now I miss not seeing new albums from this master!