Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

061973.jpg

Billie & DeDe Pierce at Luthjen's (Center). I love New Orleans dance hall music, a sub-genre of New Orleans jazz that died out by the early 1970s, as far as I can tell. It was usually played by "short" bands (three or four pieces, as opposed to a full six-or-seven-piece New Orleans band) in neighborhood dance halls. The repertoire included some of the usual New Orleans jazz standards, but was heavy on pop tunes and waltzes - "High Society" and "Eh, La Bas" are found alongside "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" and "Merry Widow Waltz" here. The musicians stuck pretty close to the melody, but tended to play in a relaxed, engaging style - no racehorse dixieland, to use Bunk Johnson's phrase.

This album was recorded at Luthjen's, a bar/dance hall in the St. Roch neighborhood, in 1953. The great husband and wife trumpet/piano team is joined by trombone and drums. It's not great jazz, or profound music, but an amazing snapshot of a Sunday night at a typical New Orleans dance hall.

Later: Did DeDe Pierce really just play a bit of "Vesti la guibba" from Pagliacci in "Eh la Bas?"

Edited by jeffcrom

@MJAZZG: That looks mighty interesting!

futter_joel_inneracti_101b.jpg

Joel Futterman - INNERACTION- JDF Music LP. With Jimmy Lyons, Richard Davis, Robert Adkins. Very much in the spirt of Cecil Taylor.

and so does that!

The grass is always greener .... :lol:

Now enjoying:

1997298.jpg

THE ATLANTA CONCERT - Peter Brotzmann, Fred Hopkins, Hamid Drake. Okka Disk LP (numbered/ltd).

Jay+McShann+%26+Buddy+Tate+-+Crazy+Legs+

Jay McShann/Buddy Tate: Crazy Legs & Friday Strut (Sackville)

Oh, I should get this. Did it come out on CD?

MG

Delmark Records is carrying a large number of Sackville CDs. I don't know if they bought the rights to Sackville and will be reissuing more, or if they are just carrying what was already available. Crazy Legs and Friday Strut doesn't seem to be available on CD from Delmark. I'm sure that Chuck knows more.

LP available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00413FL8I/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Thanks Paul. I'll look for a CD at UK Amazon, then.

MG

061973.jpg

Billie & DeDe Pierce at Luthjen's (Center). I love New Orleans dance hall music, a sub-genre of New Orleans jazz that died out by the early 1970s, as far as I can tell. It was usually played by "short" bands (three or four pieces, as opposed to a full six-or-seven-piece New Orleans band) in neighborhood dance halls. The repertoire included some of the usual New Orleans jazz standards, but was heavy on pop tunes and waltzes - "High Society" and "Eh, La Bas" are found alongside "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" and "Merry Widow Waltz" here. The musicians stuck pretty close to the melody, but tended to play in a relaxed, engaging style - no racehorse dixieland, to use Bunk Johnson's phrase.

This album was recorded at Luthjen's, a bar/dance hall in the St. Roch neighborhood, in 1953. The great husband and wife trumpet/piano team is joined by trombone and drums. It's not great jazz, or profound music, but an amazing snapshot of a Sunday night at a typical New Orleans dance hall.

Later: Did DeDe Pierce really just play a bit of "Vesti la guibba" from Pagliacci in "Eh la Bas?"

I don't know ....

Well, if you say so :D

MG

continuing my investigation of Michel Pilz. Another impressive date

115784217.jpg

Pilz should feel honored! ;) Pilz is someone whose name pops up enough but I don't really know his playing. Would like to though.

Discussed this over in recommendations:

7477002.jpg

I'm intrigued as the image doesn't display.

I first came across Pilz on the Manfred Schoof Quintet double disc compilation on ECM which was a revelation I'm a sucker for bcl so I dug around and have only found very interesting sessions when he's featured.