• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you know those jazztone issues in the european style thin sleeve, eg. the coleman hawkins one w/ eddie bert or the sidney bechet one u see all the time.....

well heres one ive never seen before- now i got the one of all this DIAL material! side 1/ dex w/ wardell, teddy edwards-- side 2: mcghee-moody band w/ milt jackson, ray brown....

Various-Jazz%2B-%2BOne%2BWorld%2BJazz%2B

Various artists --------One World Jazz--------(Adventures in Sound)

A really bad idea of Feonard Leather to record a number of greats at different locations and overdub much of what is here. It's not totally without merit but solos that have been phoned-in were never likely to sound great.

Various artists --------One World Jazz--------(Adventures in Sound)

A really bad idea of Feonard Leather to record a number of greats at different locations and overdub much of what is here. It's not totally without merit but solos that have been phoned-in were never likely to sound great.

LOL :P

Listened to:

51oklIk%2BWuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

HERB GELLER PLAYS - EmArcy Japan mono LP. Herb Geller (as), Lorraine Geller (p), Curtis Counce or Leroy Vinnegar (b), Buzz Freeman or Lawrence Marable (d).

R-3300302-1324662948.jpeg

John Carter, Echoes from Rudolph's.

I passed on a $30 copy of this once. Stupid stupid.

I believe that's what I spent, though my copy didn't come with the insert. It's a good one and includes Carter's last released recorded performance on soprano sax. Does anyone know if the liner notes are posted online anywhere?

Art Ensemble of Chicago------People in Sorrow------(Nessa )

yellow label for what it's worth. So many delicacies to found on this , it might take a lifetime to find them all. Really beautiful .

This was one of the first "free jazz" Lps I bought as a teenager after listening to Ornette and Coltrane beforehand. Still a magical record and one of my faves...I had the Nessa issue first but some years later lucked out on a mint Pathe Marconi copy.

I believe that's what I spent, though my copy didn't come with the insert. It's a good one and includes Carter's last released recorded performance on soprano sax. Does anyone know if the liner notes are posted online anywhere?

How about right here:

Bob's Notes (handwritten)

Sep. '77

Dear John,

Are you sure that you want me to do the liner notes for your record? Surely our long personal and musical association will reduce my credibility to your listeners.

I was worried as I listened for the first time that I might find the slightest thing wrong with the recording or some music that I didn't like. The only thing I don't like is that I'm not playing here and sharing this music.

I'm truly delighted with the whole thing and will be happy to do the notes if you are still so inclined.

BB

(typeset):

About Rudolph's

In the late summer of 1973, upon returning from Europe, John Carter began organizing a new jazz group. John was also looking for a small concert hall for presentation of regular community concerts. At this time, Rudolph Porter had plans for utilizing his building in just the same way. Fortunately for jazz in Los Angeles, their collaboration produced two and one half years of fine jazz concerts. Rudolph's Fine Arts Center came to be a place of varied artistic happenings, including poetry, workshops, clinics, and other musical presentations.

Rudolph's, like many other clubs, lofts, workshops, etc., went the way of the "Landlord" in the summer of 1976. Rudolph's echoes, echoes, echoes in the John Carter Ensemble which was organized and developed in the Sunday afternoon concerts.

Tell the saxophone players to bring their clarinets! That phrase has somehow lowered the clarinet's priority in recent years. John Carter is a clarinet player of the first order. He has made this almost willful little instrument, and its partner the soprano saxophone, obedient in his hands.

About the Players

Melba Joyce is one of John Carter's favorite singers and this record is the fruit of many earlier plans and a long standing desire for these two to record. William Jeffrey, drums, is busy with finishing his B.A. requirements and doing studio composing and arranging but finds time to bring his personal touch to John's music. Stanley Carter, acoustic and electric bass is John's second son and a promising young bassist with a clearly real feel for the new music. Chris Carter, John's youngest son, plays finger cymbals and sees no difference between this and any other music.

Such is the nature of Rudolph's and its offspring. Now, come share a piece of American culture with the John Carter Ensemble.

Bobby Bradford

And I got my copy for two dollars, in 1980 or 1981, I think.

How about right here:

Bob's Notes (handwritten)

Sep. '77

Dear John,

Are you sure that you want me to do the liner notes for your record? Surely our long personal and musical association will reduce my credibility to your listeners.

I was worried as I listened for the first time that I might find the slightest thing wrong with the recording or some music that I didn't like. The only thing I don't like is that I'm not playing here and sharing this music.

I'm truly delighted with the whole thing and will be happy to do the notes if you are still so inclined.

BB

(typeset):

About Rudolph's

In the late summer of 1973, upon returning from Europe, John Carter began organizing a new jazz group. John was also looking for a small concert hall for presentation of regular community concerts. At this time, Rudolph Porter had plans for utilizing his building in just the same way. Fortunately for jazz in Los Angeles, their collaboration produced two and one half years of fine jazz concerts. Rudolph's Fine Arts Center came to be a place of varied artistic happenings, including poetry, workshops, clinics, and other musical presentations.

Rudolph's, like many other clubs, lofts, workshops, etc., went the way of the "Landlord" in the summer of 1976. Rudolph's echoes, echoes, echoes in the John Carter Ensemble which was organized and developed in the Sunday afternoon concerts.

Tell the saxophone players to bring their clarinets! That phrase has somehow lowered the clarinet's priority in recent years. John Carter is a clarinet player of the first order. He has made this almost willful little instrument, and its partner the soprano saxophone, obedient in his hands.

About the Players

Melba Joyce is one of John Carter's favorite singers and this record is the fruit of many earlier plans and a long standing desire for these two to record. William Jeffrey, drums, is busy with finishing his B.A. requirements and doing studio composing and arranging but finds time to bring his personal touch to John's music. Stanley Carter, acoustic and electric bass is John's second son and a promising young bassist with a clearly real feel for the new music. Chris Carter, John's youngest son, plays finger cymbals and sees no difference between this and any other music.

Such is the nature of Rudolph's and its offspring. Now, come share a piece of American culture with the John Carter Ensemble.

Bobby Bradford

And I got my copy for two dollars, in 1980 or 1981, I think.

Thank you!