Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

reid_irene~_roomforon_101b.jpg

If Bud Hobgood could've produced instead of Creed Taylor, we might well be looking at another Soul On Top mini-masterpiece. Instead we're looking at a frustratingly clipped collection of brilliant moments whose wings get clipped just when they're ready to really take off and soar.

But those moments...they are here. Oliver Nelson WTF? moments, Charlie Mariano solo moment(s?), Irene Reid hitting it just right moments, they're all here.

Yeah, ok, here we go:.

71sR4hmbBsL._SL1280_.jpg

Andrew Hall's Society Jazz Band - Talk of the Town (Shalom). A 1981 recording by the British expat drummer and his band of obscure New Orleanians. This is an interesting album - most Europeans who come to New Orleans to play traditional jazz have pretty doctrinaire ideas about how the music should go. (I know I'm generalizing.) Hall and his band, though, play the kind of loose mix of trad, swing and R & B that Crescent City musicians gravitated to around that time. In the band are trumpeter Reginald Koeller, whom I heard several times at Preservation Hall, and the little-known, but excellent alto saxist Ernest Poree, who I unfortunately never heard in person. Poree, who also recorded with Dave "Fat Man Williams" and the Onward Brass Band, was famous for his stamina, sometimes playing two parades during the day and a dance gig at night - and still ready to play some more at the end of it all.

AUDIOPHILE%20AP%20108.jpg

The Olympia Brass Band of New Orleans (Audiophile). I've said it before here - this magnificent 1971 album has got to be the best-sounding New Orleans brass band recording ever made. And the music is worthy of Ewing Nunn's brilliant engineering. This session is available on a GHB CD, but the CD couldn't possibly sound better than this near-mint hunk of vinyl.