Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from this weekends score

Billie Holiday- A Recital- Verve (original)

AEC- Reese and the Smooth one- Affinity

Mal Waldron - One entrance,many exits- Palo Alto

Stephane Grapelli- With Bill Coleman - 2LP Festival- two very good 1973 sessions, one with Coleman- Daniel Humair drums on both

Edited by Clunky

I've broken out some LPs I haven't listened to in over a year.

Blue Note's Three Decades of Jazz, 1959-1969, Volume 1. A 2-LP compilation ranging from Lou Donaldson to Ornette Coleman.

Cal Tjader - Return Engagement. A 2-LP compilation of his Verve recordings, issued in 1974.

Dreams. The first album by the jazz rock group that included Randy and Michael Brecker, Billy Cobham and John Abercrombie. From 1971, as I recall.

The Essential Larry Coryell. A 2-LP compilation from Vanguard, featuring the bands Foreplay and Eleventh House.

A fwe more:

Four Freshmen and Five Trombones. I understand this to have been their best selling album. It's a good one!

Larry Coryell - Barefoot Boy. From 1971, with Steve Marcus and the Foreplay band. Would that Side 1 were as good as Side 2.

Miles Davis - Oleo. This was a 1971 Prestige issue of Miles' sessions with Sonny Rollins from 1954 (Oleo, Doxy, Airegin) and 1956 (In Your Own Sweet Way, Vierd Blues).

Zoot Sims & Kenny Drew Trio 'Live In Denmark' (Vantage)

with NHOP and Alex Riel.

Zoot at the top of his game!

Brownie, how does KD stack up on this one? I'm a big Drew fan but don't have this one. I take it this is filed under Sims?

Thanks!

Then you should try and get it (this seems to have been reissued on CD). Drew and Zoot are very compatible on this very well recorded live date.

Yes, it's filed under Sims.

The Martial Solal Trio (Milestone MSP 9002)

Solal (p); Guy Pedersen (b); Daniel Humair (dr)

Tracks: Let's Waltz, Under Paris Skies, Little Doll, Billie's Bounce, Jordu, Aigue-Marine, Vice Versa

Very good and challenging stuff from my favorite Solal period!

US issue of an early 60s French Columbia album, unsure of the title... Brownie? ;)

Daniel, the Martial Solal release on Milestone is made up of two Solal Trio concerts at Salle Gaveau which were originally issued on Columbia France (as 'Jazz A Gaveau' and 'Concert A Gaveau, vol. 2').

The original copies I have list:

- Lucien, Valsons (named for jazz critic Lucien Malson), sted of 'Let's Waltz',

- 'Sous le Ciel de Paris' (the classic Hubert Giraud song made popular by Edith Piaf and Yves Montand, among others), sted of 'Under Paris Skies',

- 'Petite Poupée' (a Solal composition) sted of 'Little Doll',

- 'Vice et Versa' (another Solal pun), sted of 'Vice Versa'

A few more, from last night:

The New Miles Davis Quintet. Recorded for Prestige in November of 1955, almost fifty years ago, just a few weeks after work started on the first Columbia album, Round About Midnight.

The John Graas Nonet - Jazzmantics. Great West Coast jazz on the Decca label. This reminds me a great deal of Shorty Rogers' Short Stops album, with many of the same personnel. Arrangements by Graas.

Gerry Mulligan/Paul Desmond, on Fantasy. This configuration is not available on CD. Side A is a Desmond date with Barney Kessel and voices. Side B is the first session by the original Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker, featuring the hit version of My Funny Valentine.

Neil Ardley - Kaleidoscope of Rainbows. This one is popular among the British posters over at AAJ. Most of the personnel are from Ian Carr's band Nucleus.

Nice vinyl session with:

- Walt Dickerson Quartet 'This Is Walt Dickerson' (New Jazz, reissue),

- Don Friedman 'Avenue of the Americas' (Owl)

to be followed by:

- Martial Solal Trio 'Concert à Gaveau, Vol. 2' (French Columbia)

Thanks to Daniel A. for mentioning this concert!

From yesterday:

If

If2

If3

If4

If was British saxophonist Dick Morrissey's jazz rock band of 1969-72. One of my favorites of the genre. Morrissey later led two rock bands of the same name, but they shouldn't be confused with this band. Organist John Meeling later played with Klaud Doldinger's Passport.

Stan Kenton's Greatest Hits. From the 40s. Deemed worthy of a Mosaic box.

Miles Davis - Blue Haze. Sidewinder, you must be reading my mind! This is collected from '53 and '54 sessions, with John Lewis or Horace Silver on piano.

Miles Davis Quintet - Workin'. From the May, '56, session.

Don Ellis - Shock Treatment. Not one of my favorites of his, but it's OK.

Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane. Recorded in '58, I don't believe that it was released until '64. With Tommy Flanagan on piano.

Miles Davis - Blue Haze.  Sidewinder, you must be reading my mind!  This is collected from '53 and '54 sessions, with John Lewis or Horace Silver on piano.

An under-rated LP from Miles, for sure.

Currently listening to 'The Return of Howard McGhee' (Bethlehem original). Nice mid-50s session with Sahib Shihab, Duke Jordan and Philly Joe Jones.