Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How's the Nistico?

Excellent! My favorite Nistico so far! Too few occasions to listen to him. Roy Haynes kills on that one.

Those Beehive sessions must have been exciting events with all participants in full form.

The only thing I don't like about the label is their covers. Most could have used better images!

Now:

Cool Jazz at Saint-Germain des Prés (Jazz in Paris)

the first and probably only vinyl from the series. A 10-inch LP that won't come out on CD!

With 1956 sides by barytone sax players Armand Migiani and Michel de Villers

next:

Jimmy Hamilton 'It's About Time!' With Clark Terry and Britt Woodman (Swingville, red label)

For too long I have passed up the Beehive discography, though that Reece has always piqued my curiosity. How's the Nistico?

These are great ! The ones to check out are the Sal Nistico, the Nick Brignola, the Dizzy Reece and the Curtis Fuller. The Sal Salvadors are good as well. :tup

Some of the best hard bop recordings from the 1970s IMO.

Peter Brötzmann Tentet (+2) and The Come Sunday Ensemble "Two Lightboxes"

locus53.jpg

A side: Peter Brötzmann, reeds; Ken Vandermark, reeds; Mats Gustafsson, reeds; Mars Williams, reeds; Joe McPhee, valve trombone; Jeb Bishop, trombone; Roy Campbell, trumpet; Fred Lonberg-Holm, lightbox operator; William Parker, bass; Kent Kessler, bass; Michael Zerang, drums; Hamid Drake, drums. Recorded at Old Town School of Folk Music, Chicago on 5 July 2000.

B side: Jim Baker, keyboard; Ken Vandermark, reeds; Mats Gustafsson, reeds; Jeb Bishop, trombone; Sebi Tramontana, trombone; Fred Lonberg-Holm, lightbox operator; Lou Mallozzi, turntables, CDs, tapes, microphones; Kent Kessler, bass; Michael Zerang, drums; Tim Mulvenna, drums. Recorded at Einstein, Munich on 2 April 2000 during Come Sunday 2 "Chicago Diary".

Nice pressing, plain labels, and solid music. It has been selling for around $30 on eBay, but you can still find this for $15 at http://www.tonevendor.com/item/15533

It is a limited edition of 500 copies.

Sonny Rollins Way Out West, Contemporary mono :tup

Usually I find Contemporary's sound recordists were much better then RVG, this is one of that case.

Sonny Rollins Way Out West, Contemporary mono :tup

Usually I find Contemporary's sound recordists were much better then RVG, this is one of that case.

That's true! The Contemporary mono sound is outstanding. :tup

Good 'ol Roy DuNann...untouchable!!! :tup

On my table last nite: Rahsaan Roland Kirk-Volunteered Slavery

God, I love this album! What he lacks in vocal ability he make up for in sheer enthusiasm. Probably my favorite versions of "My Cherie Amour" & "I Say A Little Prayer." Side 1 is just crazy-good, especially the choir. And then Side 2 comes on and blows you away with sheer power!

"I'm sorry folks, we started off a little slow at first. The problem was I wasn't looking at my piano player, and I've been smokin' a little...so when I came out here, I was completely blind"!!! :crazy::excited:

Bobby Jaspar with the Henri Renaud Quintet- Vogue 10" LP (UK)- picked up yesterday for £2

Supersax- Plays Bird- Capitol

Shorty Rogers- Clinkin with Clak and Martians Stay Home- first time issues of med 50s Altalntic material , released in 1978 and 1980

Edited by Clunky

Shake Keane 'That's The Noise' (mono Ace of Clubs). Recently reissued on the inferior format ( :D ) this is an undemanding, pretty nice set of covers of 60s pop hits. With Bob Efford, Olaf Vas and Pat Smythe.

followed by:

Johnny Griffin 'The Congregation' (BN 47W63rd deep groove mono)

Kenny Burrell 'Midnight Blue' (BN NY USA mono)