Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tumblr_inline_n1nzwlLNUf1rf898d.jpg

Noah Howard Quartetto - Live at the Swing Club Torino Italy (Altsax Records, SNIR 25055)

Is this really the 1974 original? weird to use "SNIR" for a label that's called "Altsax" ... but that's the info I could gather from the back cover and from discogs and other similar sites ... wasn't exactly cheap, but still a pretty nice find, I think!

Ricordi International (SNIR) did custom pressings for a lot of very small Italian labels/artists. The first Altsax Record, Patterns (recorded in Holland) was AMC (Altsax Music Company) 1000.

What you have is the original/only issue until the recent grey-market Serie.WOC reissue.

Edited by clifford_thornton

What's in the dead wax?

OG is in a very thin matte paper cover and the print is black, rather than the greenish tint. Labels are bright green with black print.

Fairly thin vinyl, maybe 120 grams on the original as well. I would say one super easy way to tell them apart is, of course, the sticker price!

A lot of early ECMs sound totally different - maybe Eicher hadn't perfected the reverb quotient, or maybe it was because he didn't record all of them at that point. They are often a lot rawer than stuff from the mid-80s onward. Also the US pressings/masterings are rolled off, or seem to be - the German issues are not.

As I mentioned in the Listening thread the other day, Conference of the Birds sounds like shit. But I suppose that was in the air at the time. Really? How so?

I have a mint German vinyl issue and it sounds excellent to me...

I admit I only have the CD, but the bass is the typical 70s sound: clear, thin, and rubbery. The drums are distant and tinny. Generally no depth with kind of an odd balance. Maybe I'd be happier with a German LP. But like I said, it comes off as typically terrible 70s production to me. I'd rather it were ECM'd!

I have a US pressing that doesn't sound too great - fairly "dull" although the music is awesome - would prefer the German to compare the sound.

Same here--US pressing--clear, but thin with little depth. It's listenable but I hope to find a better pressing one day.

louis-armstrong-all-stars-the-beat-gener0102955.jpg

I took my daily dose of Louis in convenient 45 RPM form today, with a stack of little records. A highlight was (believe it or not), a 1952 Decca with Gordon Jenkins' Orchestra, "Listen to the Mocking Bird." (How did he make such a lame song sound so good?) I've always liked the picture sleeve of a single from the B movie The Beat Generation, from 1958. The title song is just ridiculous; I'm not sure who decided that Louis Armstrong would be the person to sing it.

Then, Air - 80 Below '82 (Antilles)