• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Art Blakey "the big beat" (blue note, 47 w 63rd DG stereo) a minty copy found for cheap recently

Kenny Burrell "midnight blue" (music matters, blue note) a good test for my new Paradigm speakers

Guru Guru "hinten" (ohr, Germany) digging up some old vinyl I have not played in at least 15 years

I'm curious what you think about Midnight Blue if you have heard an original pressing as well. I was pretty pissed to find out there is a pressing error on the Music Matters reissue, you can hear ghosting or pre-echo on the left channel, on side 1. Really annoying and obvious on Mule.

Art Blakey "the big beat" (blue note, 47 w 63rd DG stereo) a minty copy found for cheap recently

Kenny Burrell "midnight blue" (music matters, blue note) a good test for my new Paradigm speakers

Guru Guru "hinten" (ohr, Germany) digging up some old vinyl I have not played in at least 15 years

I'm curious what you think about Midnight Blue if you have heard an original pressing as well. I was pretty pissed to find out there is a pressing error on the Music Matters reissue, you can hear ghosting or pre-echo on the left channel, on side 1. Really annoying and obvious on Mule.

Didn't notice as during this record I was doing other stuff and it was on in the background. Will listen to this track again tonight and report.

Never heard an original....

don't notice this on my old Manhattan-era CD. Wonder if they used a faulty copy of the tapes.

It's not a tape issue. You can hear Kenny Burrell play his lick exactly one revolution ahead of whats coming next. It is very, very low in volume almost buried in the noise floor. But on high sensitivity speakers you can make it out. Since Mule is the softest song on side one that is where it's most obvious.

Other than that I like the way the reissue sounds, it has really nice transient snap and dynamics.

don't notice this on my old Manhattan-era CD. Wonder if they used a faulty copy of the tapes.

It's not a tape issue. You can hear Kenny Burrell play his lick exactly one revolution ahead of whats coming next. It is very, very low in volume almost buried in the noise floor. But on high sensitivity speakers you can make it out. Since Mule is the softest song on side one that is where it's most obvious.

Other than that I like the way the reissue sounds, it has really nice transient snap and dynamics.

that sounds like print through on the tape.

Very interesting, that makes sense. They have a photo of the master tape on their website and speaking to one of the company producers that is the one they used. I wonder if it is something that occurred recently with the tape?

Edited by Deepak

Very interesting, that makes sense. They have a photo of the master tape on their website and speaking to one of the company producers that is the one they used. I wonder if it is something that occurred recently with the tape?

Ok I hear it on my copy too; never noticed it before...gee thanks for pointing it out so I can be annoyed each time I play this record now ;)

At least I can only really hear it on "mule"...now I'm curious to hear an original pressing.

Byron Morris & Unity - Blow Thru Your Mind - (EPI, US orig)

been reacquainting myself with this one lately, still holds up brilliantly

That's a great record; I believe my copy is a later issue.

Ok I hear it on my copy too; never noticed it before...gee thanks for pointing it out so I can be annoyed each time I play this record now ;)

At least I can only really hear it on "mule"...now I'm curious to hear an original pressing.

Byron Morris & Unity - Blow Thru Your Mind - (EPI, US orig)

been reacquainting myself with this one lately, still holds up brilliantly

That's a great record; I believe my copy is a later issue.

I had a stereo blue label RVG stamped pressing. It sounded good, but those blue label pressings usually have way too much surface noise for me.