• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Genius of Art Tatum #9 (Verve trumpet label), and Les Spann, Gemini (Jazzland).

The Les Spann is a very nice album and not too well known. I first came across Spann on "Side by Side"which was the first Ellington album I ever heard. I still have a soft spot for it. I don't find Spannn especially individual but Gemini is fine session which was recorded pretty well , even if my Jazzland pressing isn't too hot.

The Genius of Art Tatum #9 (Verve trumpet label), and Les Spann, Gemini (Jazzland).

The Les Spann is a very nice album and not too well known. I first came across Spann on "Side by Side"which was the first Ellington album I ever heard. I still have a soft spot for it. I don't find Spannn especially individual but Gemini is fine session which was recorded pretty well , even if my Jazzland pressing isn't too hot.

I like it also; It is nicely recorded and this copy appears little played; I was lucky to find it at Academy Records in New York a couple of months ago--and a bargain at $12.

I like it also; It is nicely recorded and this copy appears little played; I was lucky to find it at Academy Records in New York a couple of months ago--and a bargain at $12.

Now listening:

MI0001719270.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Soprano-Summit-Soprano-Summit-494168.jpg

Bob Wilber/Kenny Davern - Soprano Summit (World Jazz). Really enjoyed this one tonight.

Looks like this one crossed the Atlantic twice. It has a UK copyright import label.

Not my copy - just a picture I found on the web. I wondered what the sticker was.

Jeff brought this out to taunt me. :-)

Not to taunt, but partially in protest. And to see if I was crazy in remembering it to be pretty good. I don't like everything I've heard by Wilber (or Davern), but the best is pretty good, in my opinion. I think I have owned five Soprano Summit albums at various times, and divested myself of all but two of them - their first, pictured above, and a live album from a British tour, with Dave Cliff and Peter Ind. The three I got rid of didn't move me, but I really like the two I kept.

I think I've loosened up a lot over the years. There used to be a lot of jazz artists I just didn't like at all. As I have gotten older I have found that I like some of their recordings (while not accepting everything they've done), or just like them for what they are, without expecting too much. Sometimes I want profound expression; sometimes all I want is pleasant musical diversion. And sometimes I want something in between, which is where the best parts (not all) of the above album fall.

bn_6304.jpg

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond (BN mono). Second spin in two days of this recent find.

Seeing a pullback on this photo would probably be a mind-blower. I always assumed pretty absentmindedly that Jackie was on a sailboat until I looked closer and realized that he was probably on the roof of a building. But seeing the shot contextualized would be pretty incredible I'm sure.

bn_6304.jpg

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond (BN mono). Second spin in two days of this recent find.

Seeing a pullback on this photo would probably be a mind-blower. I always assumed pretty absentmindedly that Jackie was on a sailboat until I looked closer and realized that he was probably on the roof of a building. But seeing the shot contextualized would be pretty incredible I'm sure.

Yes, I asked that question back on Board Krypton, and the answer was that, yes, it was on top of a building in NYC, and that that's some sort of broadcast-tower-ish thing he's holding on to.

Nice score. Have a dead silent Japanese press of "le nouveau jazz" and only the In Situ CD version of "free jazz"...

I've been told the Japanese "Le nouveau jazz" is a stereo pressing. If so, is it "real" stereo?

I think my copy is stereo but honestly have no idea. Catalog number is "SL-5007-AX". My copy is a white label promo and all the text on the back and inner gatefold is in Japanese.

The pressing quality is pristine and not a single click is to be heard which is nice.

Tonight's spins:

Larry Young - record one of the Mosaic box (thanks faceofthebass!)

Freddie Hubbard "the artistry of" (impulse, stereo)

Barry Altschul Trio featuring Ray Anderson and Mark Helias - Somewhere else [Moers]

Inspired by Anderson talk on other threads. This is a great trio. It musy be more than fifteen years since I dug this out. Note to self - stop buying and start listening to what you've got - ha!

313f29eaf6.JPG

Yes, the original Philles LP, because nothing sounds 100% like Philles except Philles original pressing, and also because I got lucky about 30+ years ago and found a sealed copy in some weirdass mom & pop (minus the pop and + the Laura Wingfield on Thorazine sidekick) store in Fort Worth with cats running the show, yes, real cats.