What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Sybil's Golden Oldies, that was the name of the place, but they had a lot of jazz (and jazz 45s). And they had a whole back room of 78s.

I wonder what became of that place...I bet the cats ate it all, they were those kind of cats and those kind of people. It was one of those places that you look for a logical way for it all to be together in one place like it was, people, place, and things, and...just no way, no logical way.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice score. Have a dead silent Japanese press of "le nouveau jazz" and only the In Situ CD version of "free jazz"...

I've been told the Japanese "Le nouveau jazz" is a stereo pressing. If so, is it "real" stereo?

I think my copy is stereo but honestly have no idea. Catalog number is "SL-5007-AX". My copy is a white label promo and all the text on the back and inner gatefold is in Japanese.

The pressing quality is pristine and not a single click is to be heard which is nice.

Yeah, Columbia pressed up promos of both Tusques Mouloudjis - they are also quite rare, pressings are undoubtedly better than the originals. So it goes...

Nice score. Have a dead silent Japanese press of "le nouveau jazz" and only the In Situ CD version of "free jazz"...

I've been told the Japanese "Le nouveau jazz" is a stereo pressing. If so, is it "real" stereo?

I think my copy is stereo but honestly have no idea. Catalog number is "SL-5007-AX". My copy is a white label promo and all the text on the back and inner gatefold is in Japanese.

The pressing quality is pristine and not a single click is to be heard which is nice.

Yeah, Columbia pressed up promos of both Tusques Mouloudjis - they are also quite rare, pressings are undoubtedly better than the originals. So it goes...

Funny thing, those vintage Japanese free jazz pressings. "Church number nine" on Odeon has even got 10 minutes of extra music (sort of "part 3") compared to the French Calumet.

Edited by corto maltese

On the topic of Frank wright and curio Japanese pressings; the Japanese version of Noah Howard's "space dimension" sounds great whereas it seems all French America pressings have some sort of mastering/pressing flaw.

I only have the French "Space Dimension". The third track on that album is part of the "Church number nine" session (Muhammed Ali replaces Art Taylor). The track starts with a bit of Bobby Few piano amidst percussion, then the music drops away (!) and starts again with Ali's drums. I think that track was restored for the Japanese issue of "Church number nine" (the extra music I was talking about in my earlier post).

Both the original "Church number nine" on Calumet and the Japanese issue sound dramatically better than that track on the "Space Dimension" album. If the Japanese issue of "Space Dimension" sounds equally good, I need that one!

Edited by corto maltese

313f29eaf6.JPG

Yes, the original Philles LP, because nothing sounds 100% like Philles except Philles original pressing, and also because I got lucky about 30+ years ago and found a sealed copy in some weirdass mom & pop (minus the pop and + the Laura Wingfield on Thorazine sidekick) store in Fort Worth with cats running the show, yes, real cats.

Lucky you, I only have a reissue with a different cover with Phil (or Phil stand-in) wearing a 'back to Mono' button, when the album is very obviously stereo! Most ripped off Xmas album ever?

313f29eaf6.JPG

Yes, the original Philles LP, because nothing sounds 100% like Philles except Philles original pressing, and also because I got lucky about 30+ years ago and found a sealed copy in some weirdass mom & pop (minus the pop and + the Laura Wingfield on Thorazine sidekick) store in Fort Worth with cats running the show, yes, real cats.

Lucky you, I only have a reissue with a different cover with Phil (or Phil stand-in) wearing a 'back to Mono' button, when the album is very obviously stereo! Most ripped off Xmas album ever?

Definitely one of the most pop-culturally reverberant pop-statements of the last 50 years, I think. Target's ads this season using all the "It's A Marshmallow World"'s samples being just the latest...and to think that it was a flop in its time!

I also have a mono Apple reissue, as well as a Pavilion/CBS stereo copy (both with the identical Phil-as-Santa photo), and...no. Same thing with Philles 45s. Whatever you do when you print the musicnoise into the LP groove is not there on either one of them (especially/obviously the stereo one), what is that, the mastering stage of an LP? I don't know what they did, but every Philles pressing I've heard has had crappy vinyl and hotter-than-hell sound, even the LPs hit like a jukebox 45, or pretty close to it and is freakin' visceral like a mofo. Never mind the songs/music/whatever, I don't think that was the real point of any of it all, that sound was. Wall Of Sound my ass, Wall Of Constantly Exploding Noise Sound, hello.

I'm surprised it took him as long as it did to actually kill somebody. Somebody should have intervened and forced him to make, like, one record a year, just as a public safety measure, keep him just that little difference below the bursting point. Zappa wanted to let us know that his guitar wanted to kill our momma, well, ok Modern Day Composer refusing to follow through, Phil Spector's records wanted to kill everybody, even/especially for Christmas...or at least fire a warning shot that just barely missed.

Season's Greeting!

Miles Davis, On The Corner (Columbia)

Sonny Greenwich, Sun Song (Radio Canada International). Picked this up thanks to Homefromtheforest's blindfold test.

Kenny Wheeler. Around 6 (ECM, US). Great album.

Don Ellis, ...How Time Passes... (Candid). Whether it's a quartet or a big band playing odd meters, Don Ellis always makes me smile.

And now:

Egg "the polite force" (deram, UK)...I remember chancing on both this and the debut LP in absolute pristine condition at a used record store here in vancouver for about $20 each around 20 years ago. Spinning the second LP right now...first time in many years and sounds superb...I'm a sucker for early Canterbury stuff like this and Caravan, etc...

Miles Davis, On The Corner (Columbia)

Sonny Greenwich, Sun Song (Radio Canada International). Picked this up thanks to Homefromtheforest's blindfold test.

Kenny Wheeler. Around 6 (ECM, US). Great album.

Don Ellis, ...How Time Passes... (Candid). Whether it's a quartet or a big band playing odd meters, Don Ellis always makes me smile.

Great choices! I have not played that Don Ellis album in at least 15 years but it's in my shelves. The Wheeler is one of my favorites from him..I have the vinyl of "on the corner" as well as the Columbia CD box which is a must have...

That's one advantage of living on the old continent, I suppose.

If you can look past the mostly dull covers, there's some excellent free jazz on Amiga records (and a lot of other thing too, of course).

Now playing: Quartetto Luigi Bonafede "Riflessioni" (Red, 1980). Two side-long improvisations with piano, two basses and drums.

Next will be some Karin Krog, if there's time left before the Christmas eve obligations.

That's one advantage of living on the old continent, I suppose.

If you can look past the mostly dull covers, there's some excellent free jazz on Amiga records (and a lot of other thing too, of course).

Now playing: Quartetto Luigi Bonafede "Riflessioni" (Red, 1980). Two side-long improvisations with piano, two basses and drums.

Next will be some Karin Krog, if there's time left before the Christmas eve obligations.

I really like Krog's Gershwin album and the meeting with Warne Marsh