What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Record 3 of the Larry Young Mosaic box.

I have all of the titles contained in this box as individual releases on both CD and album but could not resist the nice price faceofthebass gave me on this!

Neil Ardley 'Greek Variations' (Australian World Record Club).

Never knew this obscure variant existed until I saw a copy. Sonics are pretty well comparable, I think, to the UK Columbia version. Ian Carr's tone, in particular, comes through very nicely.

well now that you've got two copies, I'd be happy to help you free one up!

I have the CD of this and I'm perfectly content with that..it's a nice session but personally I don't like it enough to be compelled to throw $300 or so on a vinyl original!

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fair enough !

First vinyl play of the year - Joe Harriott 'Movement' (UK Columbia mono). A different listening experience to the fine Dutton Vocalion stereo CD. Bass more prominent.

Joe-Harriott-Movement-549037.jpg

Love the way that side 1 finishes of with the neo-calypso 'Revival'. Perfect !

Edited by sidewinder

albumcoverJohnColtrane-ColtranesSound.jp

Coltrane's Sound (Atlantic, mono).

115901465.jpg

Steve Lacy Trio, N.Y. Capers (Hat Art). I've had the CD for years, but finally got the LP set with the extra tracks.

More of the same, plus Steve Lacy, Raps. Bismillah Khan, an awesome shenai player, is on deck--if the kids fall asleep I can listen to it.

Because Vancouver record stores suck!

Got the Coltrane on an eBay "buy it now" from a seller who really undergraded it! One of those nice situations where a seller's "VG" is more like excellent...

Always nice when that happens..

Up in Van I even managed to sneak a peak in Zulu Records over in Kitsilano. Other than a fairly beat-up Andrew Hill 'Grass Roots' and loads of good-nick Charles Lloyd Atlantics - zilch.

Edited by sidewinder

115901465.jpg

Steve Lacy Trio, N.Y. Capers (Hat Art). I've had the CD for years, but finally got the LP set with the extra tracks.

More of the same, plus Steve Lacy, Raps. Bismillah Khan, an awesome shenai player, is on deck--if the kids fall asleep I can listen to it. My copy of "capers" is a brown gatefold sleeve; not sure which is the 1st issue. Regardless, it's excellent music!

"Blue Train" is done and both the wife and kids are asleep but I'm wide awake. A perfect time to break out something different:

Bernard Parmegiani "chronos" (philips prospective, France). Sounding killer on my new Paradigm speakers...

115901465.jpg

More of the same, plus Steve Lacy, Raps. Bismillah Khan, an awesome shenai player, is on deck--if the kids fall asleep I can listen to it.My copy of "capers" is a brown gatefold sleeve; not sure which is the 1st issue. Regardless, it's excellent music!

.. You've got the original; I've got the pizza box reissue. Re: Vancouver record stores suck--things are better across the strait in Victoria...that's where I picked up the Coltrane and Raps. Happy New Year!

Now this gem with McPartland, Freeman, Russell, Teagarden, Condon, Haggart, Sullivan and Krupa.

cover170x170.jpeg

What label is that on, Chuck?

Back from the gig, and much to my surprise, what I wanted to hear was:

sonny-rollins-nucleus-20111116044624.jpg

Sonny Rollins - Nucleus (Milestone). Inferior mid-1970s Rollins of the kind decried in a recent thread. But then, there's "Azalea," the last tune on side one, on which Newk plays a strange, twisted solo that had me shaking my head in wonder. And that's why I listen to "inferior," post-1970 Rollins.

Now this gem with McPartland, Freeman, Russell, Teagarden, Condon, Haggart, Sullivan and Krupa.

cover170x170.jpeg

What label is that on, Chuck? It's on Verve - a Creed Taylor production from 1961. Lil Armstrong and Blossom Seeley make appearances too.

Just listened to this.

Next

Art Ensemble of Chicago -------Alternate Express---------(DIW) blue vinyl no less.

Funny thing, those vintage Japanese free jazz pressings. "Church number nine" on Odeon has even got 10 minutes of extra music (sort of "part 3") compared to the French Calumet.

I have an original French pressing but have long been curious about the Japanese Odeon and its extra ten minutes of music. Curious, but it's hard to break the bank purchasing something you already own!

I've checked again and am pretty sure now that the extra music on the Japanese Frank Wright is the '"Church number nine" track on Noah Howard's "Space Dimension" (which didn't really belong there in the first place). It's been restored (it's longer and doesn't have the fade out-pause-restart) and the sound is far, far superior.

Anyway, French or Japanese, it's still one of the most exciting free jaz records ever made and it deserves a first class reissue (how about a Noah Howard & Frank Wright Complete Small Group Sessions box set?).

Edited by corto maltese

Funny thing, those vintage Japanese free jazz pressings. "Church number nine" on Odeon has even got 10 minutes of extra music (sort of "part 3") compared to the French Calumet.

I have an original French pressing but have long been curious about the Japanese Odeon and its extra ten minutes of music. Curious, but it's hard to break the bank purchasing something you already own!

I've checked again and am pretty sure now that the extra music on the Japanese Frank Wright is the '"Church number nine" track on Noah Howard's "Space Dimension" (which didn't really belong there in the first place). It's been restored (it's longer and doesn't have the fade out-pause-restart) and the sound is far, far superior.

Anyway, French or Japanese, it's still one of the most exciting free jaz records ever made and it deserves a first class reissue (how about a Noah Howard & Frank Wright Complete Small Group Sessions box set?).

Ah! Yeah, I have the Japanese pressing of the Howard (hat-tip to homefromtheforest) and it sounds great. All set then.