Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

GHB%2024.jpg

Kid Thomas Valentine + The Hall Brothers Jazz Band (GHB mono). A 1964 meeting between four veteran New Orleans musicians and four (very) young Minnesota revivalists.

Inspired by thirdtry's enthusiasm for Kid Thomas, I decided to spin this one tonight. Do you know this one, thirdtry? Not reissued on CD, I don't think.

Later: I'd forgotten that Valentine plays Fats Domino's "One Night" here. I love that he apparently thought of himself as a dance/pop musician, not as a "jazzman."

Edited by jeffcrom

150088.jpg

Sun Ra - Sign of the Myth (Roaratorio). A new release of a 1973 "lost" album intended for Impulse.

How is it?

Based on one listening - good, not essential. It's very much in the vein of "Pathways to Unknown Worlds," which is from the same period - it's four improvisations by the Arkestra, rather than "composed" pieces by Ra. It's perfect for someone in my situation - I have lots of Sun Ra records and CDs, including much (most?) of what was issued during his lifetime. The plethora of "new" live recordings issued in the past few years have seemed overwhelming to me, and I've had no desire to keep up with them. But a "new" studio recording, even if it's not the best Ra I've ever heard, is very welcome.

If that makes sense to anyone here, I would recommend this album. If you don't have the Sun Ra "essentials," pass on this and get those first.

150088.jpg

Sun Ra - Sign of the Myth (Roaratorio). A new release of a 1973 "lost" album intended for Impulse.

How is it?

Based on one listening - good, not essential. It's very much in the vein of "Pathways to Unknown Worlds," which is from the same period - it's four improvisations by the Arkestra, rather than "composed" pieces by Ra. It's perfect for someone in my situation - I have lots of Sun Ra records and CDs, including much (most?) of what was issued during his lifetime. The plethora of "new" live recordings issued in the past few years have seemed overwhelming to me, and I've had no desire to keep up with them. But a "new" studio recording, even if it's not the best Ra I've ever heard, is very welcome.

If that makes sense to anyone here, I would recommend this album. If you don't have the Sun Ra "essentials," pass on this and get those first.

I bought this too, and like Jeffcrom, have many other Sun Ra Lps and CDs. I found side one to be pretty meandering and a bit weak but on side two some sparks start to fly.

150088.jpg

How is it?

I bought this too, and like Jeffcrom, have many other Sun Ra Lps and CDs. I found side one to be pretty meandering and a bit weak but on side two some sparks start to fly.

Thanks for your impressions. I bought Sun Ra's Other Strange Worlds on Roaratorio and had the same reactions. http://roaratorio.com/uncategorized/sun-ra-his-astro-infinity-arkestra-other-strange-worlds/

That one is outtakes from "strange strings", right?

I think that's why I didn't buy that one because I'm not a huge fan of "strange strings"; an interesting album to hear once maybe but...

It was marketed as a companion to Strange Strings, but it was recorded the year before and with a much smaller group.

I think that's why I didn't buy that one because I'm not a huge fan of "strange strings"; an interesting album to hear once maybe but...

It was marketed as a companion to Strange Strings, but it was recorded the year before and with a much smaller group.

But similiar musical territory?

But similiar musical territory?

I'm not all that familiar with Strange Strings, but this one seems like similar territory, but more percussive, less stringy. It has a lot of unfocused noodling, punctuated by oboe. But there's some nice bits as well.

Bernie McGann - The Australasian Jazz Avant-Garde 1966 - (Sarang Bang)

unissued quartet and quintet recordings from this under-sung altoist, absolutely essential group music.

:tup Nice to see a release from a local label mentioned here! I've only heard a sample track but it sounded really good.