• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How is that album? Is the Globe Unity track similiar to the version on the SABA album?

Don't know the SABA I'm afraid ... it's the Schoof Quintet (w/Dudek, Schlippenbach etc), the Brötzmann Trio plus more horns ... pretty wild stuff, just one track.

B-Side is half (or a third) of Bley's terrific 1979 set (which is in circulation in its entirety and I'd love to see it all on a CD, but I guess this overpriced LP is the best we're gonna get, so I went for it).

24558_2.jpg

YOUR TONIGHT IS MY TOMORROW - Eric Watson (p), Steve Lacy (ss), J-P Celea (b), Aaron Scott (d). 1987. Paris. Owl LP

Not sure what the connection was between Watson and Lacy, but they recorded twice AFAIK. Interesting to hear Lacy here as a "sideman," playing in a group different from his own. Alas, Lacy's only on 3 of the LPs cuts.

Lacy is also on Watson's trio album "The Amiens Concert" with John Lindberg on Label Bleu.

And Watson is in duet with Lacy on Lacy's "Spirit of Mingus" (Free Lance). Finally, Watson is on Lacy's double sextet album "Clangs" on Hat.

Never had that Tony Scott but would like to.

Now:

Toshi Tsuchitori - Solo - (DYM, Japan)

one of these oddly came into the store my friend owns in Austin years ago. He didn't know I was looking for it and it went up on eBay (didn't win). Got an untouched dead-stock copy from a friend in Japan last week and it's truly beautiful music. Now if I can just pull that damn Origination LP!

Edited by clifford_thornton

515mswhwE1L.jpg

Earl Hines - Quintessential Recording Session (Chiaroscuro). Hines' 1970 remakes of the eight sides he recorded in 1928 for the QRS label. A great album, still not available on CD, I don't believe.

A masterpiece.

Back in the day, I made a cassette with each of the QRS sides followed immediately by the 1970 version of the same tune. I think I'll create an iTunes playlist with the same setup.

Tony Oxley "four compositions for sextet" (CBS, UK)

Randy Burns "of love and war", "evening of the musician" (ESP, USA)

Freddie Hubbard "breaking point" (blue note, King Japan)

yeah, I've heard it - agreed that the cost of owning an OG is high, but it's one of those that feels somehow 'necessary' (even if very little of it is truly 'necessary'). Lucky that you were able to return the record because you weren't feeling the music - that almost never happens!

It had some pops and clicks and the seller claimed it was stone mint so I used that as a reason to return it. It's a cool record don't get me wrong, but I really think the musical quality doesn't match the price tag.