What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Marion Brown Quartet - s/t [ESP-Disk]

recent arrival. Can't believe I slept on this joyful sound for so long

one of the best records out there.

http://discog.piezoelektric.org/marionbrown/r/marionbrownquartet.html

yeah, the last ESP edition included all five tracks on CD, so I had to pick it up too.

Now:

Amon Düül - Collapsing - (Metronome GER orig)

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not Paul but I wouldn't label it as essential. As the title might indicate, it's pretty much a blowing date. The Mo'tet Soul Note is much, much better.

thanks. I have the Mo'tet already and enjoy that

I actually like it better than the Mo'tet date. I enjoy hearing Bobby Bradford doing somewhat straight ahead blowing. The sax player on the Mo'tet does a lot to spoil it for me.

I'm not Paul but I wouldn't label it as essential. As the title might indicate, it's pretty much a blowing date. The Mo'tet Soul Note is much, much better.

thanks. I have the Mo'tet already and enjoy that

I actually like it better than the Mo'tet date. I enjoy hearing Bobby Bradford doing somewhat straight ahead blowing. The sax player on the Mo'tet does a lot to spoil it for me.

thanks Paul. I think i will investigate this one too - it is Bradford after all

Miles Davis, On the Corner. I never tire of listening to this.

I love that album and the complete "on the corner" CD box set is simply incredible

Have been spinning that set this week and agree. Just too bad that Bob Belden didn't get the permission to put out the 2x4CD sets !

I think the previously unreleased material from the later sessions included in that set is mostly underwhelming. The introduction price was inflated.

What material would have been on those 2x4CD sets, Sidewinder?

I've seen mention that he wanted to do 4cds covering 1972 then another 4 covering 73 to 75. this would have included stuff that Miles didn't play on but which added insight into the development of the music. Sony/BMG put a stop to this plan apparently.

Michel Portal "splendid yzelment" (akt/CBS, France). Have not played this in at least 15 years...good to dig it out again. Sounds amazing...think tomorrow night I'll have to pull out "our meanings and our feelings"!

Both are great, although they are a lot less known (and harder to find) than "Alors".

"No, no, but it may be" is another fine one. And there are many more...

I just realize he will turn 80 this years. We should cherish him.

Edited by corto maltese

1380151487_bill_harris__the_soul_of_jazz

The Soul of Jazz (World Wide Stereo). An odd one from Savoy's short-lived stereo subsidiary label. All the tunes are fake gospel tunes (except for "Royal Garden Blues," which is there for some reason) arranged by Billy VerPlanck. But the solos, by Joe Wilder, Billy Harris, Bobby Jaspar, Pepper Adams, and Eddie Costa (on piano) are really good.

yeah, the last ESP edition included all five tracks on CD, so I had to pick it up too. *)

Now:

*) 'only' four tracks have been recorded. The complete issue is hard to find and very expensive!

http://www.amazon.de/Marion-Brown-Quartet/dp/B000A0GP4A/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1426434512&sr=8-11&keywords=Marion+Brown

Miles Davis, On the Corner. I never tire of listening to this.

I love that album and the complete "on the corner" CD box set is simply incredible

Have been spinning that set this week and agree. Just too bad that Bob Belden didn't get the permission to put out the 2x4CD sets ! I think the previously unreleased material from the later sessions included in that set is mostly underwhelming. The introduction price was inflated.

What material would have been on those 2x4CD sets, Sidewinder?

I've seen mention that he wanted to do 4cds covering 1972 then another 4 covering 73 to 75. this would have included stuff that Miles didn't play on but which added insight into the development of the music. Sony/BMG put a stop to this plan apparently.

Thanks. I only new there was more material that wasn't included. A bit of it was up on Dimeadozen at some point.

John Handy - Recorded Live at the Monterey Jazz festival [CBS]

Harold Land - Damisi [Mainstream]

Dyan/Feza/Temiz - Rejoice [Cadillac]

a varied selection picked from one of those old fashioned things called record shops earlier today. Each of them has its merits

Edited by mjazzg

John Coltrane Coltrane (Impulse)

Not his most highly regarded album, but one of the records that pulled me into "classic" jazz. "Out of this world" still is one of my favourite tracks by the quartet.

It's one of my favorite Coltrane Impulse albums!

Michel Portal "splendid yzelment" (akt/CBS, France). Have not played this in at least 15 years...good to dig it out again. Sounds amazing...think tomorrow night I'll have to pull out "our meanings and our feelings"!

Both are great, although they are a lot less known (and harder to find) than "Alors".

"No, no, but it may be" is another fine one. And there are many more...

I just realize he will turn 80 this years. We should cherish him.

Wow, 80!? Had no idea...I actually really enjoyed his most recent CD (bird watcher)..

John Coltrane Coltrane (Impulse)

Not his most highly regarded album, but one of the records that pulled me into "classic" jazz. "Out of this world" still is one of my favourite tracks by the quartet.

It's a great album! Perhaps it's underrated.

coltraneImpulse21.jpg

Edited by BillF

yeah, the last ESP edition included all five tracks on CD, so I had to pick it up too. *)

Now:

*) 'only' four tracks have been recorded. The complete issue is hard to find and very expensive!

http://www.amazon.de/Marion-Brown-Quartet/dp/B000A0GP4A/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1426434512&sr=8-11&keywords=Marion+Brown

Somebody can't add... that would be me!

Now:

Clifford Jordan/John Gilmore - Blowing In From Chicago - (Blue Note, King JP mono)

I can't believe I missed that this album had extra music. Needless to say it's now hard to find.

'Marion Brown Quartet' as an exemple of a curious publication of a recording session!