• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Zbigniew Namyslowski/ Karin Krog----------Jazz Jamboree '75 Vol.2---------(Muza)

Recorded October 1975 in Warsaw. Krog is only on one side (2 originals and 2 Gershwins) , the other side has a long tango like piece for quintet. Both interesting sides, well recorded but not the greatest pressing.

Just arrived direct from ECM Germany yesterday..

Any good? I like Eick's leader dates but at the same time have a sneaking doubt that a narrow furrow is being ploughed with them - danger of diminishing returns. I see there's a violinist added this time but the ECM site clip didn't really suggest there's a major departure in sound.

Edited by mjazzg

"Eastern Sounds" is a lovely record. I had that same Fontana mono issue but sold it because it was no better then my late 60s prestige issue. One day I'd love to hear the original USA Moodsville issue to see if it sounds any better.

You must have had a duff copy I guess. Just given this one a re-spin to check and no complaints here. It looks essentially unplayed and I think came from the archive of 'Gramophone' magazine, probably a major plus factor. No doubt 90% of the copies that made it this far have sadly been hammered to death on record changers and sonically oliterated by styli like knitting needles !

Edited by sidewinder

"Eastern Sounds" is a lovely record. I had that same Fontana mono issue but sold it because it was no better then my late 60s prestige issue. One day I'd love to hear the original USA Moodsville issue to see if it sounds any better.

You must have had a duff copy I guess. Just given this one a re-spin to check and no complaints here. It looks essentially unplayed and I think came from the archive of 'Gramophone' magazine, probably a major plus factor. No doubt 90% of the copies that made it this far have sadly been hammered to death on record changers and sonically oliterated by styli like knitting needles !

I no longer have my mono Fontana issue but IIRC it sounded fine to me.

My copy was super clean; I'm not saying it didn't sound good...just that it was not an improvement on my later USA prestige issue. Yeah I hear you...it's getting tough to find clean old jazz albums that do not have groove distortion, etc.

Any good? I like Eick's leader dates but at the same time have a sneaking doubt that a narrow furrow is being ploughed with them - danger of diminishing returns. I see there's a violinist added this time but the ECM site clip didn't really suggest there's a major departure in sound.

I really like it; bit less "melodic" then "skala" but I can tell this will be a grower. I'm a big fan of Eick's albums on ECM though so you are getting a biased opinion ;)

I no longer have my mono Fontana issue but IIRC it sounded fine to me.

Mine's a UK Transatlantic dated 1966, it too just sounds fine, i've not heard any other editions.

I really like it; bit less "melodic" then "skala" but I can tell this will be a grower. I'm a big fan of Eick's albums on ECM though so you are getting a biased opinion ;)

I'm not adverse to a bit of bias. I'll call it informed opinion .......the 'little less "melodic"' probably makes it a 'yes' for me

Have you seen him live at all? I've only done so with Haarla's 'Northbound' band, I keep missing Jaga Jazzist and I'm not sure he's played leader dates here yet. I'd like to hear him stretch out a bit on some of this ECM material