• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Odean Pope------Almost like me---------(Moers Music)

Jazz funk feel to some of this. Mainly about the rhythm and not much proper soloing. Gerald Veasley's electric bass has much to do with this. Just worth the $10 I paid at Academy in NYC a few years ago in so much that I have next to nothing by Pope as a leader.

Jazz funk feel to some of this. Mainly about the rhythm and not much proper soloing. Gerald Veasley's electric bass has much to do with this. Just worth the $10 I paid at Academy in NYC a few years ago in so much that I have next to nothing by Pope as a leader.

Saw Odean Pope as a sideman in the Max Roach quintet in the late 60s.

There's at least one track on that record that reminds me of the Minutemen or Pere Ubu.

511gS-73swL._SS280.jpg

Marion Williams - Standing Here Wondering Which Way to Go (Atlantic). A kind of amazing 1971 gospel album. Most of the tracks are then-recent songs by Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, George Harrison, Stevie Wonder, etc. But the mighty Marion makes what might have come off as dated sound absolutely timeless. And the backing musicians include Gerry Jemmott, Bernard Purdie, The Dixie Hummingbirds, and four pianists: Hank Jones, Joe Zawinul, Ray Bryant, and Keith Jarrett (!). This version of Wonder's "Heaven Help Us All," with Jarrett at his gospel-ly best, gets all over me.

James Newton - Luella [Gramavision]

There's at least one track on that record that reminds me of the Minutemen or Pere Ubu.

Now that makes me want to hear it. If only for that one track

R-6039799-1409512868-9347.jpeg.jpg

Chico Hamilton Quintet* ‎– Ellington Suite. UK mono Vogue Records ‎– LAE 12210

Huh, weird. I thought this was never released at the time and was only turned up as an acetate at a flea market? I guess I need to go back and re-read the CD liners.

There was a different recording Chico Hamilton recording session that featured Eric Dolphy and was released as The Original Ellington Suite by Blue Note on a CD in 2000. Seven (or six) of the nine tracks were previously unissued.

Edited by alankin

dawg is yours not the 80s DMM pressing, cause i have the common press of this, omg its my far the nosiest hank disc in my entire collection. i would just love to see this session recut as an audiophile lp set, it seems way overdue

far-away-lands-541933ce6c1f3.jpg

Hank Mobley - Far Away Lands (BN Teldec)

Yes, mine's DMM. It sounds good.

Now playing:

7bfd1c4aa595.jpg

Ernest Poree - New Orleans Saxophone (Rampart). This 1975 album is the only recording led by this minor, but talented Crescent City saxophonist.

Edited by jeffcrom

Selections from Larry Young in Paris (Resonance), Selections from Getz/Gilberto '76 (Resonance), and Gene Krupa Sextet No. 1 (Clef ten inch).

Where do you go in DFW to get Record Store Day releases?

I found the Larry Young at Josey Lane Records (the last copy they had, it appeared), and the Getz at Dead Wax in Carrolton (they had more copies of both the Young and the Getz and they may well still be there--this is a tiny store near Babe's (right next to a Twisted Root) which otherwise has nothing much of jazz interest).

Edited by kh1958

Lucky Thompson / Barney Wilen/ Bent Jaedig/ Helmut Brandt ---------Four Brothers-------(Sonorama)

Rec 1960 Hamburg., prev. unreleased . Fine sound , nice performances. The originals especially Thompson's work best.'"This here" was a misguided choice but everything else swings nicely and soloists are easy to identify. Guitarist Larry Atwell is a new name to me but seems very good. There will be more adventurous German radio sessions out there but any new Lucky is welcome .