What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

horace-solver-the-jody-grind-rearcover-1horace-solver-the-jody-grind-cover-1800-

The Jody Grind-----(BN Liberty) 

Been on the look out for this as it's another favourite which sounded a little dusty on CD. The Liberty original has a gatefold sleeve as a do a number of other Liberty sleeves of that era (New York Now and a Papa Lou title IIRC)

Another one where the master tape was 'lost'. I think.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Benny-Carter-The-Early-Benny-C-443100.jp

The Early Benny Carter (Everest). Wonderful music from Carter's 1936-37 stint in England. This is an inferior, incomplete issue, but it's the way I first heard these recordings back in my college days, so I'm fond of it. And the sound is acceptable if you fold down the fake stereo into mono.

Prince Lawsha - Firebirds: Live at Berkeley Jazz Festival vol 1 [Birdseye]

Reminder to self to dig that one back out !

That's one of those that never made it to CD? Discogs only shows three volumes of vinyl.

On reflection - it might be Vol2 that I have got on the Birdseye LP. Must check !

Edited by sidewinder

Woody Shaw - Love Dance

Love_Dance.jpg

GREAT MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) One of Woody's very best, imho.

I really like all that I've heard from  the studio  and live sessions around 1975-1977.

Listening this morning to another great record featuring Woody: Gary Bartz NTU Troop - Home!

2012-04-1628685703.jpg

Bobby Timmons                 This Here                   (Riverside Interdisc) UK pressing - very quiet

Hand clap you way through the title number , plus Dat Dere, Moanin and others. It's simultaneously a shout and a chant.....

R-2425767-1283373591.png.jpg058134.jpgR-659856-1144511146.jpeg.jpg

david-murray-live-at-the-lower-manhattan

Today's record fair mini haul. Reasonable prices for all. The Bill Dixon side sounds as if it's been recorded under water. It's a CBS Realm pressing ,known for being dodgy in these parts. In fact it's just fine. The original recording is the problem. Good to hear it any way.

Erroll Garner's "Soliloquy" and Johnny Griffin and Lockjaw Davis' "Tough Tenor Favorites." The former, all solo from 1957, Garner very free and inventive, vividly recorded in Columbia's 30th St. studio. The latter nicely recorded too for a Ray Fowler date, Buddy Catlett on bass captured with much clarity and presence (the rest of the rhythm section is Horace Parlan and Ben Riley), Griff and Jaws joyfully intense and not at all pro forma.

Edited by Larry Kart

R-2425767-1283373591.png.jpg

Today's record fair mini haul. Reasonable prices for all. The Bill Dixon side sounds as if it's been recorded under water. It's a CBS Realm pressing ,known for being dodgy in these parts. In fact it's just fine. The original recording is the problem. Good to hear it any way.

Yeah, the recording suffers a bit on that one. I have an original Savoy that sounds murky, but the music is sublime. The score of "Winter Song" (the longer piece - the titles are switched on the record) was printed in an issue of Down Beat in '65 or '66 I believe.