wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

44,813 posts in this topic

the-many-faces-of-jazz-vol-10-milton-mez

Mezz Mezzrow - The Many Faces of Jazz Vol. 10 (Vogue). A loose 1951 French session, which I sought out some years ago due to the presence of New Orleans trumpeter Lee Collins, who is a favorite of mine. Mezz could have improved any session he was part of by leaving the damn clarinet in the case, but Collins sounds very good, as does fellow New Orleanian Zutty Singleton.

Houston Person, Hot Buns and Barbecue (Prestige/Fantasy)

SC-Record-Store-Day-8.jpg

Desmond...

As well, the opening notes to "Le Souck" still seem to shift everything up and over to a slightly different vibrational plane.

DAVE-BRUBECK_AT-STORYVILLE-1954_041712.J

First side is pretty much too plowed to listen to more than once (and I'm got a high tolerance for that kind of thing, but the second side is more than easy enough to listen to, and that's where the meat is, for my money. Desmond's working of the Stravinsky quote on "When You're Smiling" is the kind of thing that could be merely clever if not for the macro-contexting of it that he does while he's going along, the quotes are never the object of the line, they're just a part of it, there's still this whole other thing going on. Sweet.

Marika - Bohemian Drips Presents Marika [Bohemian Drips]

featuring Korhan Futaci.

Picked up at last night's phenomenally powerful show by Konstrukt at Cafe Oto

followed by:

Konstrukt and William Parker - Live At NHKM [Holiday Records]

11252172_942523159137737_106657266092845

the beavs at dolphins, posted on the Vintage LA page-- and look hes standing directly underneath a record with  hank mobley on it! for reals what was he doin at dolphins anyway promoting that single of his, when you have records like -that- to choose from at dolphins, you got prestige frank wess, jimmy forrest, curtis amy & frank butler down the left end and chico, and look at that quincy jones there, i dont know about that one bein rright up there on the rack between a prestige record and a record with hank on it...

ok ok what im actually spinning though? 9/29/81- frejus, FR, aud recording, 3lp box.  this is like a level 10 rare one for sure, i never actually thought id own this, i just got it

11828728_954221799878_298141793242614228

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

The Jazz Crusaders - Lighthouse 69'

Art Hodes - Mosaic LP1

Gabor Szabo, Rambler (CTI), and Gary Bartz, Singerella (Prestige/Fantasy).

Wife took out kids this morning so was free to crank the stereo and play some vinyl(after finishing some chores of course!)

Larry Young "unity" (blue note, stereo "ear")

Kenny Drew "undercurrent" (blue note, music matters 33rpm)

Art Blakey "the freedom rider" (blue note, stereo "ear")

Masabumi Kikuchi "hairpin circus" (Philips, Japan)

Grant Green - Nigeria - BN LT series LP.  Sounds great to me.

R-3265284-1325326658.jpeg.jpg

My LP is actually the Inner City-licensed version. But you get the idea. ;) 

Boogaloo Joe Jones, Right On Brother (Prestige), and Houston Person, Chocomotive (Prestige).

Mal Waldron - with the Steve Lacy Quintet - (America, FR)

Mal would've been 90 today.

Tom Scott, Rural Still Life (Impulse)

Leo Kottke - 12-String Blues (Live at the Scholar) - Oblivion, US orig

Charles Tyler Quintet - At WKCA [No label]

purchased online with no research. On arrival it's undoubtedly a boot (from a radio broadcast) which is a shame. The music however is very good indeed

yeah that is a Qbico/Sagittarius A-Star boot from the WKCR Musicians' Show, which you can stream from the WKCR site for free. The guy who runs those labels is a problem person, to say the least. 

11252172_942523159137737_106657266092845

the beavs at dolphins, posted on the Vintage LA page-- and look hes standing directly underneath a record with  hank mobley on it! for reals what was he doin at dolphins anyway promoting that single of his, when you have records like -that- to choose from at dolphins, you got prestige frank wess, jimmy forrest, curtis amy & frank butler down the left end and chico, and look at that quincy jones there, i dont know about that one bein rright up there on the rack between a prestige record and a record with hank on it...

With Rudy Ray Moore?!?!?! https://twitter.com/recordcrack/status/630057940674699265

Check it out (Wikipedia)..

After his discharge he lived in Seattle, Washington and then Los Angeles, where he continued to work in clubs and was discovered by record producer Dootsie Williams.[5] He recorded rhythm and blues songs for the Federal, Cash, Ball, Kent and Imperial labels between 1955 and 1962, and released his first comedy albums, Below the Belt (1959), The Beatnik Scene (1962), and A Comedian Is Born (1964).[7][8]

By his own account, he was working at a record store in Hollywood in 1970 when he began hearing obscene stories of "Dolemite" recounted by a local man named Rico. Moore began recording the stories, and assumed the role of "Dolemite" in his club act and on recordings.[9] In 1970–71 he recorded three albums of material, Eat Out More Often, This Pussy Belongs To Me, and The Dirty Dozens, where "with jazz and R&B musicians playing in the background, [Moore] would recite raunchy, sexually explicit rhymes that often had to do with pimps, prostitutes, players, and hustlers."[10]

Beaver Cleaver, indeed...

Joe Pass - For Django. Pacific Jazz(Liberty).

I like the two guitar lineup.