• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20090627/200357137843.jpg   http://www.popsike.com/pix/20111004/260863867814.jpg 

I had never played these two favorite 1980s Southern gospel albums back to back until tonight.

Spiritual Starlites - Long Black Limousine (ASL - Atlanta Soul Liberation). A great Atlanta gospel album with a great cover. The long black limousine gets a credit on the back cover: "LIMOUSINE furnished by Meadows Mortuary." My cover is much better shape than the one pictured, but it doesn't have the autographs.

The Star Lite Singers - Footprint of Jesus (Hue). I bought this album in Clarksdale, Mississippi 20 years ago. The Star Lites were from Lexington, Mississippi, and included the Rev. Charles Pitchford - which led to the inclusion in the accompanying band of the great, ill-fated bluesman Lonnie Pitchford on guitar and bass. (Check out his All Around Man album on Rooster Blues.) Lonnie Pitchford died of AIDS in 1998, and in the early days of the internet, I read an account of his funeral which is no longer to be found. The funeral sermon was preached by his brother Charles, and it was apparently defiant of conservative Christian conventions - Rev. Pitchford proudly said that God gave his brother the talent to play the blues, and that Lonnie followed that calling the best he could.

This is a deep album..

Edited by jeffcrom

On 12/12/2015, 9:29:58, jeffcrom said:

http://img.cdandlp.com/2015/09/imgL/117707223.jpg

Jimmy Giuffre - Music for People, Birds, Butterflies & Mosquitoes (Choice). Hadn't spun this one for a long time. Hate the title, like the music.

This title reminds me of something you might see on "Sesame Street," which -- to me, at least -- isn't entirely bad.

Apparently, the folks at Choice agree with you though. The music was reissued as Night Dance. ;) 

51hKdlom6uL._SY355_.jpg

To clarify, I've had Pathé and Nessa pressings as well, somewhat 'used' but not 'abused.' If I had cracked a sealed Nessa it probably would've been a different story! This was a new stock 70s Odeon copy and it sounds stunning. My copy of Stances is an early Nessa and it sounds great.

Edited by clifford_thornton

48 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Cool - will be dropping the needle on T.S. 1989 later this evening...

:rofl: ready and waiting.....haven't played it in hours. Japanese, coloured vinyl, 3x 10" edition, naturally (traded from Mats G)

Edited by mjazzg