Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4 March 2016 at 3:49 PM, Clunky said:

Carsten Meinert Kuartet-----To You ----( Fredericksburg Records) 2015 reissue of 1968 Danish LP

Very much in the manner of classic Coltrane quartet. Meinert does bring something else to the picnic so this doesn't merely sound like a. Trance copyist at work. Very high quality reissue . FR have a tiny output but the two things I have released under their imprint are of the highest order. Definitely a label to watch. I'll be interested to see what jazz they do next. I missed out on the CD which has 4 previously unreleased tracks.

A very fine reissue - these guys seem to be putting in the same attention to detail and quality that International Phonograph are doing with CDs. Intense session - the booklet photo showing couples slow dancing in front of the band must be a set-up.  :D

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

A very fine reissue - these guys seem to be putting in the same attention to detail and quality that International Phonograph are doing with CDs. Intense session - the booklet photo showing couples slow dancing in front of the band must be a set-up.  :D

This is the other release that I have on this label, a 2LP set by Christian Schwindt. Also a new name to me but the write up sounded enticing,

R-6291677-1453979548-1565.jpeg.jpg

6a00e008dca1f088340120a7af0cfb970b-300wi

Herb Pomeroy Orchestra------Life is a many splendored gig-----( Columbia EMI) ex Roulette 1957

Some interesting tunes an playing here with an enticing cast of unsual suspects. Boots Mussulii plays fab  alto sax , Jaki Byard is among the tenor sax players. Ray Santisi whose work with Serge Chaloff is at the piano stool.  A little like a Kenton side but it swings, has plenty of passion and doesn't try to be too clever. i'd be interested to know if this outfit recorded any more.

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not the exact same band as far as I can tell, but from roughly the same time:

$_35.JPG

Arrangements not by Pomeroy either (Al Cohn & Ernie Wilkins instead), but...it's there.

I'd forgotten about that disc (which I have and like, even if Kral doesn't really float my boat)

Now playing ...

Sam Noto------2-4-5-------(Unisson Records)

Quite a dry sound on this lovely date. The duos with bassist Neil Swainson are especially effective. Noto's originals are quite arresting. I've not played this album in years but it's only now hitting me how good it is. This deserves to be played more often and better known. Ted O'Reilly of this board gets production credit. 

noto_canada_11240.jpg

Edited by Clunky

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

I'd forgotten about that disc (which I have and like, even if Kral doesn't really float my boat)

Now playing ...

Sam Noto------2-4-5-------(Unisson Records)

Quite a dry sound on this lovely date. The duos with bassist Neil Swainson are especially effective. Noto's originals are quite arresting. I've not played this album in years but it's only now hitting me how good it is. This deserves to be played more often and better known. Ted O'Reilly of this board gets production credit. 

noto_canada_11240.jpg

This should clarify..:)

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/32520-sam-noto/&page=2

45 rpm time:

The Nice: Brandenburger c/w Happy Freuds (Immediate)

Cal Tjader, Savoy EPs XP8101 and 8117 with Hank Jones, Al McKibbon, Kenny Clarke or Richard Wyands, McKibbon, Roy Haynes

Vido Musso Galaxy 45 with Cal Tjader: Cuttin' The Nut

Don Patterson Prestige 45: People c/w Love Me With All Your Heart

Cal Tjader Fantasy 45: Afro Blue (this is an unedited studio take different from the familiar live recording made at Carmel)