What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Dropped $1400 Canadian today at my retired friend's house; continuing my dig through his collection.  That got me 21 albums but it included J.R.Monterose on Lexington Blue Note, a black label "giant steps", and many more New Jazz, Riverside, and Blue Notes all in excellent condition.

First spins from the pile tonight are:

Julius Wechter 4tet "linear sketches" (jazz west, DG USA)

Bennie Green "soul stirrin" (Blue Note, 47w63rd no "r" mono)

Tubby Hayes "return visit" (Fontana, UK)

Art Blakey jazz messengers "live at cafe Bohemia vol.1" (blue note, Lexington USA)

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Dropped $1400 Canadian today at my retired friend's house; continuing my dig through his collection.  That got me 21 albums but it included J.R.Monterose on Lexington Blue Note, a black label "giant steps", and many more New Jazz, Riverside, and Blue Notes all in excellent condition.

First spins from the pile tonight are:

Julius Wechter 4tet "linear sketches" (jazz west, DG USA)

Bennie Green "soul stirrin" (Blue Note, 47w63rd no "r" mono)

Tubby Hayes "return visit" (Fontana, UK)

Art Blakey jazz messengers "live at cafe Bohemia vol.1" (blue note, Lexington USA)

congrats ....

Woody Herman Sextet--------s/t-----------(WRC) UK budget edition  of Roulette session (At the Roundtable)

Really good all-star line up. Nat Adderley, Charlie Byrd, Eddie Costa (piano and vibes) Jimmy Campbell (drums). Not your average Herman session.

Don't get me wrong it's not some amazing gem but it is pretty nice. Poor cover, although the Roulette original is odd to say the least

.Woody+Herman+The+Woody+Herman+Sextet+384

for completeness here's the Roulette

51EN1pkq82L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

David Toop/Paul Burwell - Wounds - (Quartz, UK)

nutty recent grab

Nice one.  Have not played my copy in around 15 years.  Bought it around the same time that I got "whirled music" and the Alterations album on Bead.  All sort of in the same bag if memory serves.  The David Lee album is a good score!!

Claudio Fasoli/ Kenny Wheeler / JF Jenny Clark-----------Land--------(New sound plane/ INNOWO)

Bought to get more Wheeler and Jenny Clark is always going to be bonus. Spare sounding trio from 1988. Digital recording which doesn't sound better or worse than many analog recordings but admittedly  Jenny Clark does sounds a bit light weight, compared to how he's usually recorded.  Wheeler seems completely at home with Fasoli's originals (all tracks). It's great to him have so much space in this setting. Recommended.

$_35.JPG

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, they are all pretty similar and enjoyable in their own weird way. Got Whirled Music, the Alterations on Bead, Choloagogues and a few others of this persuasion.

The Lee is a nice palette-cleanser after all that weirdness!

Hey, a large part of my collection is music of this persuasion...

To call them pretty similar, isn't that a bit "all Chinese look alike" from the other side of the Atlantic?

4 hours ago, corto maltese said:

Hey, a large part of my collection is music of this persuasion...

To call them pretty similar, isn't that a bit "all Chinese look alike" from the other side of the Atlantic?

Ha, yeah I know what you mean. But they do require a certain weird "mood," at least for me. These are also four records with nearly the same personnel... 

It's funny, you know -- I was thinking "how many solo Derek Bailey LPs do I really need" but pulling out the Morgue the other day I was struck by how perfect it is compared to some of the others, and that sense of "perfection" can only be arrived at through experiencing the nuances of similar-but-different recordings.

The Esquire art department surpassed itself with this alternative cover. Mind you the Prestige original isn't anything to talk about (although it is better IMO) . I'm uncertain how four stones equates or relates in any way to the blues or being alone. Perhaps it's the type of rock depicted or some 'in joke' that a half century later is entirely lost. Spinning this now as I found a nice near mint copy yesterday. The music is pretty good , perhaps my favourite Bryant. Sounds very fresh.

Ray Bryant-------Alone with the blues-------(Esquire UK) dg etc..

Ray+Bryant+Alone+With+The+Blues+590081.j

here's the Prestige original for completeness

220px-Alone_with_the_Blues_(Ray_Bryant_a

Edited by Clunky

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

The Esquire art department surpassed itself with this alternative cover. Mind you the Prestige original isn't anything to talk about (although it is better IMO) . I'm uncertain how four stones equates or relates in any way to the blues or being alone. Perhaps it's the type of rock depicted or some 'in joke' that a half century later is entirely lost. Spinning this now as I found a nice near mint copy yesterday. The music is pretty good , perhaps my favourite Bryant. Sounds very fresh.

Ray Bryant-------Alone with the blues-------(Esquire UK) dg etc..

Ray+Bryant+Alone+With+The+Blues+590081.j

The blue background for "the Blues" is a stroke of designer's genius, so I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to these stones than we, unsophistacated souls, can imagine.

220px-Shirley_Scott_Plays_Horace_Silver.

Shirley Scott-----plays Horace Silver-------(Prestige)

280492786581.jpg

Now this .,,,

Phil Seaman -------Now !.....Live!-------(Verve MGM UK)

picked this up for £4 yesterday and therefore appear to quite a bargain if Popsike is to be believed. Competent swing piano trio , pretty mainstream fare but quite energetically played.