Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hampton Hawes 'For Real' (Contemporary)

Listening to that superb session with Harold Land, Scott LaFaro and Frank Butler in glorious mono sound!

I want Brownie's vinyl and cigars. :D

Not ready yet to prepare my will!

Next item on the smoking range is a Partagas Lusitania. That should keep me going for a few additional years ;)

Phineas Newborn, Jr. - Solo Piano

Wonderful record, a document really, Newborn's only solo LP, but a strange recording quality-wise. Piano almost sounds like a harpsichord, teeny and percussive, with constricted lower register, unlike the superb recordings Newborn did for Contemporary. Too bad. It could've been glorious.

Miroslav Vitous - First Meeting - ECM w/ Surman and Kenny Kirkland

Charles Mingus - Tijuana Moods - RCA/Classic Records reissue

Sam Rivers - Complete Blue Note - Mosaic - Record 3, originally Contours

Kenny Wheeler - Gnu High - ECM

Tommy Flanagan - Ballads & Blues - Inner City/Enja

Ralph Towner - Solstice - ECM

not all jazz -

David Grisman - The David Grisman 5tet - Kaleidoscope

Joni Mitchell - Hejira - Asylum

Bob Dylan - Blond On Blond - Sundazed Mono reissue

Edited by charlesp

Herbie Hancock: Takin' Off with Dexter Gordon and Freddie Hubbard on Blue Note.

Side 2 is great IMO. Only side I play(same with whomever owned it before me :( ). The tempo goes fast, med, slow which is quite enjoyable.

Stanley Turrentine: Never Let Me Go with Shiley Scott (Blue Note). Lp has $2.70 price sticker from '64 on it. I bet it was a defective/store demo LP that got put in the used bin. I'm not quite as ageless as Brownie, so I did not pick this up new. :D

Fairly unique music/instrumentation on this one. Organ and bass plus conga.

Edited by wolff

Steve Lacy - Let's Call This - hat ART - duets w/ Waldron & one trio w/ Enrico Rava

Steve Lacy- The Way - Hat Hut

Von Freeman - Have No Fear - nessa

Art Pepper - Live @ The Village Vanguard/Saturday - Contemporary

Miroslav Vitous Miroslav Vitous Group - ECM - great Surman baritone

Bill Evans - @ The Montreaux Jazz Festival - Verve/Classic reissue

Atom, welcome to this Board.

And honored that you chose a photo I took of Marion Brown for your avatar.

The photo was taken in Paris in 1966. The original was handed to Bernard Stollman of ESP along with some other photos that were used for the front and back covers of Marion Brown's ESP album 'Why Not'.

The slide eventually turned up in Italy where it was used for a reissue of the album. Wish I could get the original back. But that's a long story!

Atom, welcome to this Board.

And honored that you chose a photo I took of Marion Brown for your avatar.

The photo was taken in Paris in 1966. The original was handed to Bernard Stollman of ESP along with some other photos that were used for the front and back covers of Marion Brown's ESP album 'Why Not'.

The slide eventually turned up in Italy where it was used for a reissue of the album. Wish I could get the original back. But that's a long story!

Thanks for the welcome.

I really love this photo. It's one of my favorite Marion Brown photographes. :wub:

Stan Getz - West Coast Jazz - Verve/Japanese Polygram reissue

Chano Dominguez - Con Alma - Venus

Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban - Blue Note/Classic mono reissue

Dexter Gordon - Biting The Apple - Inner City/Steeplechase

Egberto Gismonti w/ Nana Vasconcelos - Danca Das Cabecas - ECM

Sonny Rollins - The Standard Sonny Rollins - RCA Mono

Andrew Cyrille & Maono - Metamuscians' Stomp - Black Saint

Tonight, the Earl Hines/Paul Gonsalves quartet with Al Hall on bass and Jo Jones on the drums. What a wonderful (an neglected) date. Over the Rainbow is a classic.

I bought this over fiteen years ago and played it once. As I remember, I had mixed emotions about Paul Gonsalves' playing. This was recorded less than four years before he died, and his playing doesn't sound as authoritative as it did in his prime. Nonetheless, "Over the Rainbow" is a beauty - he puts everything he has into it, and the feeling comes through completely. His playing on "I Got It Bad" is fine also. Hines and Jo Jones are masterful, and Al Hall is a rock. Jones' "tapdancing" on "Moten Swing" is a bit of pure magic.

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that for older musicians every day isn't easy and the music might not come as easily as it once did. Playing this record again reinforced that, and I was able to listen this time for what was there, rather than what I expected or wanted to be there. At it's best, this is a wonderful date. Thanks for mentioning it and getting me to finally hear it.

Miles Davis - The Complete Blackhawk Sessions - Mosaic, Record 6

Ron Carter - Piccolo - Milestone

Sphere - Flight Path - Electra Muscian

Woody Shaw - Stepping Stones - Columbia

Clifford Jordan - Repetition - Soul Note

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue - Blue Note/Toshiba reissue

Edited by charlesp

David Hazeltine - Alice In Wonderland - Venus

Andrew Hill - Complete Blue Note Sessions (1963-66) - Mosaic, Records 1-3 - all of Black Fire and Smokestack and 2 cuts from Judgment - one of my favorite Mosaics

Edited by charlesp

Helmut "Joe" Sachse - Solo (Amiga)

one of the very last Jazz LPs released in the GDR this one has Sachse playing often more than one guitar (at once), tapping his feet, and doing some flute (while playing guitar) too. May sound like a circus act, but the result is very much not circus music or free jazz that lost itself within the endless meanderings of self for that matter. Not the one for guitars in general, I like this stuff pretty well. There isn't a big battery of sound "enhancers" either, which helps.