Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yep, I wasn't previously aware of it either - looking at the sleeve something didn't seem quite right until I twigged. Period charm !

Of course, Monk wasn't generally known in those days, so misspellings of his name were legion. So many people learned Latin in school then that he invariably became "Thelonius".  (Harking back to another thread, knowledge of Latin is why we got Mingus Ah Um.^_^

Michael J Smith-------Geomusic--------( Pronit ) White crow black disc, Klub Peytowy Polskiego......

1975 trio with Zbig Namyslowski (alto) and Jacek Bedarek (bass) . Smith does Cecil Taylor - I don't know how typical of his work this is. Recorded in Warsaw. Rudimentary generic cover. 

R-3252185-1401393655-7139.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Clunky

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

Michael J Smith-------Geomusic--------( Pronit ) White crow black disc, Klub Peytowy Polskiego......

1975 trio with Zbig Namyslowski (alto) and Jacek Bedarek (bass) . Smith does Cecil Taylor - I don't know how typical of his work this is. Recorded in Warsaw. Rudimentary generic cover. 

jeffcrom knew Smith well and played with him. The LPs I have are quite spare and rather intense, seemingly coming from George Crumb and Henry Cowell as much as a postwar jazz/free music milieu. But that's only a listener's perspective and I'm sure there's much more to him than that.

6 hours ago, Clunky said:

Typical of his work during that period. As Clifford hints, his music got more lyrical and more conservative as time went on. I hope Michael would forgive me for saying this, but there are tracks from his later albums that border on "New Age" music.

Edited by jeffcrom

Pete Jolly -----------Impossible---------(Metrojazz)

Duo with Ralph Pena (bass) . Sounds like it might be dull but it's not. There's nothing remotely challenging about the repertoire but the absence of drums give the set a beautiful feeling.