• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ida - Tales of Brave Ida - (Polyvinyl)

Hmm have not paid attention to this band in some years but have fond memories of seeing them live a few times circa the Simple Machines era.  Great band.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ida - Tales of Brave Ida - (Polyvinyl)

Edited by Homefromtheforest

3 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Hmm have not paid attention to this band in some years but have fond memories of seeing them live a few times circa the Simple Machines era.  Great band.

yeah, bought a couple of the Polyvinyl reissues a while back as I wanted to hear them again -- it'd been well over a decade! The albums are good, mellow indie folk with a quiet power. Worth giving another shot 20 years on.

Now:

Mudhoney - Piece of Cake - (Reprise, German pressing)

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, bought a couple of the Polyvinyl reissues a while back as I wanted to hear them again -- it'd been well over a decade! The albums are good, mellow indie folk with a quiet power. Worth giving another shot 20 years on.

Now:

Mudhoney - Piece of Cake - (Reprise, German pressing)

Nostalgic day today, huh?  Mudhoney were awesome back in the day..still prefer the early stuff and saw them many times around 1990-91..killer live band.  Last time I saw them was just after Lukin left the band and it was at a small tavern in Bellingham.  Got there to find it sold out..spotted Mark Arm walking on the street and ran up to him to say how my friends and I had driven almost an hour from Vancouver to see them and it was sold out.  He said no worries and put us on the guest list!  He also appreciated my vintage 1989 mudhoney shirt too which maybe helped!

On 6/6/2016 at 5:03 AM, Clunky said:

Lee Konitz Trio --------Oleo-------(Sonet)

Dick Katz's electric piano (and normal piano) and Wilbur Little's bass make a great combination with Lee. 1975 NYC

Hmm. I wasn't aware of that one. Sounds fascinating. 

Someone should do a Sonet jazz reissue series. Something along the lines of what Elemental is doing with Xanadu. 

I'd pony up the cash for Okay Temiz's Oriental Wind with Bobo Stenson and Lars Danielsson. Or what about Jimmy Rowles Isfahan?  Or the New York Jazz Quartet's Song of the Black Knight?  Or Bob Brookmeyer's Back Again with Thad Jones?

I'm sure that there are many other interesting Sonet recordings that aren't readily available.

It's probably not financially feasible. But one can always hope... ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

I am getting really tired of format over content.

Isn't this a music site.

If Lon got a 3xblueray version would it be a better intellectual experience? 

Rather than delete this, I just want to nudge folks in the direction of "music".

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I think this forum is for vinyl nerds and the "what are you listening to" forum is for CD nerds.  Vinyl is my preferred format so I love reading this forum to potentially discover gems I had never heard about.  The pressing details are a bit superfluous but I appreciate them..and really is it that big a deal?  We can't nerd out just a tiny bit?  And in many cases,speaking  as a music fan, the format and pressing can make a big difference in the SOUND of the music we all love.

I hear (and agree with) what Chuck is saying, and I'm guilty of what he mentioned.  I often tend to post the release/pressing at the expense of commenting on the music. It should be more about the music than anything else. Pressings, etc. are interesting, but music should trump all of that. At least imo.