Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Coltrane ------Giant Steps-------(London) mono

my first Trane and best (?) . I recall an interview with JC from around that time where (iirc) that he rated "Soul Trane" and "Blue Trane" as his favourites. I recall being surprised that he didn't rate GS amongst his best. The interview from March 1960 Stockholm is on the Miles Dragon set. Perhaps his view reflected the fact that Steps had only just been released ( Jan 1960) as so wouldn't be as widely available as the other two he cites.  Always interesting which releases an artist prefers. 

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

my first Trane and best (?) . I recall an interview with JC from around that time where (iirc) that he rated "Soul Trane" and "Blue Trane" as his favourites. I recall being surprised that he didn't rate GS amongst his best. The interview from March 1960 Stockholm is on the Miles Dragon set. Perhaps his view reflected the fact that Steps had only just been released ( Jan 1960) as so wouldn't be as widely available as the other two he cites.  Always interesting which releases an artist prefers. 

I agree; if pressed to choose between many tremendous Coltrane albums I would have to pick "Giant Steps".  Was extremely lucky earlier this year to get an original mint black label USA Atlantic pressing for $40 Canadian.  My friend had two copies - a deep groove and non deep groove copy.  He wanted to keep one of them so I chose the non-deep groove copy as I've heard a few times that this pressing is a superior one?

5 hours ago, Clunky said:

I have that version as well (the sonics of the UK London issue are outstanding). Standing by to get 'torched' for commenting on virtue of format..:wacko:

Johnny Richards -------The arrangers touch-------(Vogue UK) white label

Not played this in age because I recall being less than overwhelmed. Started with LP1 - My Fair Lady . It's ok but nothing so far that strikes me as especially memorable. Not sure if this is a keeper as I look to prune selectively. I'll try the Diablo session later tonight.

2 hours ago, rdavenport said:

Miles - Milestones

Never had this before. It's a bit of an old chestnut I know, but what a good record. Red Garland is an absolute MF.

As a side note, I never knew the tune "Milestones" was formerly simply "Miles". 

And don't forget the original 1947 "Milestones":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4euXuPTROc