• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob Downes - Electric City - (Vertigo UK swirl)

As I've become familiar with the variety of musical situations Bob Downes has created for himself, not to mention the verve of his personality (which comes through the music and our email exchanges), this wild-and-wooly, bluesy and funky jazz-rock amalgam has grown on me quite a bit. 

Paul Chambers "jazz delegation from the east" (score, USA). Likely will never find/afford the original jazz-west issue so this slightly later issue will do.  A good session but not quite the sum of its parts that I had hoped.

Art Blakey "ritual" (world pacific, mono DG USA). Now this on the other hand is a stunner; excellent album.

Clifford Thornton "communications network" (third world, USA). Hmmm..finally got a NM copy but wow it's sort of a badly recorded album and a bit unfocused.  But Nathan Davis is on it...do I keep it?  I'm on the fence with this one...

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

dawg.  the score is still hella rare- i have a vintage european version on that really amazing quality european vinyl, im sure it sounds better than a jazz/west original

Yeah I hear you.  Sure it's rarer then James Last and Nana Mouskouri!  I only have one JazzWest original lp and it's not a great pressing at all so yr probably right.  

Stuff these bird in the hand losses. I had an original mint Dave Bailey Jazztime vinyl I sold off a few years later after I got it. I was beat out in a jazz collection sale by a jazz vinyl veteran who picked out an original Green Street vinyl and left me with an original Reaching Out, as a listener I thought I'd been usurped. Drats....

George Russell 'The Stratus Seekers' (Dutch Fontana, Interdisc). Sonics outstanding !

8 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Yeah I hear you.  Sure it's rarer then James Last and Nana Mouskouri!  I only have one JazzWest original lp and it's not a great pressing at all so yr probably right.  

James Last and Nana on JazzWest? :)

7 hours ago, optatio said:

25884041xn.gif! Now on my turntable!

Ugh used to own an original Prestige copy of this years ago but sold it in a moment of stupidity around 20 years ago.

tonight's playlist:

Dexter Gordon "our man in Paris" (blue note, NY USA stereo ear)

Hank Mobley etc "the jazz message" (savoy, USA orig DG red labels)

Takehisa Kosugi "catch wave" (Sony, Japan)

11 hours ago, paul secor said:

OJCCD-103-2~Thelonious-Monk-Thelonious-i

Thelonious in Action

It's good a pretty good record, but Johnny Griffin's blowing doesn't have a lot to do with Monk much of the time - at least not to these ears.

IMO it is this dichotomy making the performances so rewarding ....

11 hours ago, paul secor said:

OJCCD-103-2~Thelonious-Monk-Thelonious-i

Thelonious in Action

It's good a pretty good record, but Johnny Griffin's blowing doesn't have a lot to do with Monk much of the time - at least not to these ears.

Never thought about that, but perhaps you're right. We hear about the empathy with Monk of Rollins, Coltrane and Rouse, but Griffin doesn't get mentioned.^_^