Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Great session(s). I have the Freedom UK version (which contains tracks from both nessa volumes) and the nessa 2-CD issue with the complete music.

Now:

Ivo Malec - 3L - (Philips, FR)

Electroacoustic, string orchestra and choral music from an extremely rugged Croatian composer.

Great Malec album.  I'm a big fan of his "triola" record on INA/GRM as well.

where did you find the "sart" shirt!?  Or did you make it yourself?  I once made a Slint "tweez" t-shirt in college art class because I needed to fulfill a demand the market was not meeting haha..

On 18-6-2016 at 8:06 AM, Homefromtheforest said:

Jan Garbarek "sart" (ECM, Germany). A total classic along with "Afric pepperbird" and "triptykon".  This copy is my second mint German copy because years ago I found out my first copy had a "LC" code which meant it was pressed after 1976.  Yes I'm a collector nerd.

How about the cover? Real nerds of course need a copy of this with a spineless cover.

10 hours ago, paul secor said:

At first I wondered why Columbia didn't do a session like this one, but it looks like Louis left Columbia right around the time that Duke returned to the label.

paul -- If I remember correctly, the reason that record was made for Roulette was that Roulette had "loaned" Count Basie to Columbia, so Columbia could make First Time! The Count Meets the Duke.  In return, Columbia "loaned" Ellington to Roulette, where he recorded two LP's worth of material with Armstrong's band: Together For The First Time and The Great Reunion.  (Or something to that effect.)

I wish they would have recorded Louis with Ellington's band -- instead of the other way around!

18 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Did this come with a spineless cover?  I always thought they ended around ECM 1010?  Please enlighten...

Yes, it did. My copy of Sart is spineless. We might need an uber nerd (preferably from Japan) to help us here... No, seriously: I think 1015 might actually have been the last one.

"Sart" and "Triptykon" are the only Garbarek ECM's left in my collection. It's not that I disliked the later albums, but I felt no urgent need to keep them.

7 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Jeanne Lee - Conspiracy - (Earthforms, US)

partial to the overdubbed solo voice piece but overall this is an excellent record with a well-applied ensemble cast (Sam Rivers, Gunter Hampel, Steve McCall, Mark Whitecage et al).

It's a great album by a terrific singer.

I recently found an original Seeds pressing in its original cover, which, to my surprise, is slightly different from the Earthforms cover.

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

Yes, it did. My copy of Sart is spineless. We might need an uber nerd (preferably from Japan) to help us here... No, seriously: I think 1015 might actually have been the last one.

"Sart" and "Triptykon" are the only Garbarek ECM's left in my collection. It's not that I disliked the later albums, but I felt no urgent need to keep them.

I

Staying with ECM .... how many releases were issued as first edition - like the first issue of  Mal Waldron`s "Free At Last" ECM 1001 - with a Foldout Cover .... ?

Edited by soulpope

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Staying with ECM - was Mal Waldron`s "Free At Last" ECM 1001 the only release which was issued as first edition with a Foldout Cover .... ?

Yes, I think so. There are several pressing variations of "Free At Last", but the first came in a fold out cover with a sheet music booklet inserted in one of the "flaps" inside..

53 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

Yes, I think so. There are several pressing variations of "Free At Last", but the first came in a fold out cover with a sheet music booklet inserted in one of the "flaps" inside..

Fortunately got a copy of this one ....

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

paul -- If I remember correctly, the reason that record was made for Roulette was that Roulette had "loaned" Count Basie to Columbia, so Columbia could make First Time! The Count Meets the Duke.  In return, Columbia "loaned" Ellington to Roulette, where he recorded two LP's worth of material with Armstrong's band: Together For The First Time and The Great Reunion.  (Or something to that effect.)

I wish they would have recorded Louis with Ellington's band -- instead of the other way around!

Yes. That might have really been something to hear.

3 hours ago, corto maltese said:

I have this first issue of the Waldron.  I think the "rarest" ECM I have is the pre-release version of the "just music" album in an art cover and red(!) ECM label.  I think some of these early "spineless" issues are quite hard to come by, for example, I've never seen a spineless issue of "output".

Corto you should at least add "Afric pepperbird" to your Garbarek collection!  

1 hour ago, Homefromtheforest said:

I have this first issue of the Waldron.  I think the "rarest" ECM I have is the pre-release version of the "just music" album in an art cover and red(!) ECM label.  I think some of these early "spineless" issues are quite hard to come by, for example, I've never seen a spineless issue of "output".

Corto you should at least add "Afric pepperbird" to your Garbarek collection!  

Don't worry, I just forgat that one. It's "Witchi-Tai-To" (not a bad album by any means, but I don't have room for it) and the later ones that had to go.

The trouble with first pressings of those early ECM's is that not many people seem to know or to care. Of course, it's perfectly fine (and understandable) not to care about such details, except for sellers who ask premium prices for so-called "1st original pressings" when they're actually just offering a pre-1977 pressing (without label code).

The Just Music you have is indeed very rare.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Been looking for that pre-release Just Music for many years. Alas, it hasn't appeared. The music is quite good, and the scene around Just Music and Harth in Frankfurt around that time is pretty interesting.

I remember the first edition of the Penguin Jazz Guide describing the Just Music album -en passant- as a "thoroughly forgettable session" or something to that effect.

Now, I've learned a lot from that book, but the British bias of the authors in covering free music was all too obvious.