What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

7 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ivan Lasso Quintette - Snowsnake - (Dragon, US)

knotty Chicago-based modern jazz outfit, I assume the LP was recorded in the late 70s. Lasso is, by all appearances, a strong tenor player and the group is quite fine. Never seen or heard of anything else under his name.

That's funny: not so long ago, I was talked into buying this as a private press free jazz album. I was hesitant because of the electric bass, but decided to give it a try (the price was reasonable). To be honest: I didn't even get to the end of side 1.

I like to think I don't have many musical prejudices, but an electric bass in a (free) jazz context...

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CevjwknW4AED9kt.jpg

Harry Beckett---------Still Happy---------(My only desire) 

Short (28 mins)  August 1974 BBC broadcast in fab sound. Some highly cheesy electric piano and electric bass shouldn't put anyone off. It's a great date and sounds wonderful. Highly recommended. Hats off to My Only Desire for licensing this from Auntie and getting it sounding so good. Pressing is perfect on medium weight vinyl - shows how it can be done.

6 hours ago, corto maltese said:

That's funny: not so long ago, I was talked into buying this as a private press free jazz album. I was hesitant because of the electric bass, but decided to give it a try (the price was reasonable). To be honest: I didn't even get to the end of side 1.

I like to think I don't have many musical prejudices, but an electric bass in a (free) jazz context...

At the end of the day I wouldn't call the Ivan Lasso record free jazz. The electric bass is something of a sore thumb here but, as with Odean Pope's "Almost Like Me" and Prime Time, it's also texturally intriguing. At least to me.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

At the end of the day I wouldn't call the Ivan Lasso record free jazz. The electric bass is something of a sore thumb here but, as with Odean Pope's "Almost Like Me" and Prime Time, it's also texturally intriguing. At least to me.

Not being a fan of electric bass in jazz context either, but do have a weak spot for  Odean Pope`s "Almost Like Me" .... listening to Gerald Veasley`s performance on the title track reminds me always of one reviewer`s quote " ... the best album Jamaaladeen Tacuma never recorded" .....

Edited by soulpope

It's a newish purchase so I'm not best positioned to give a long distance forecast but there's nothing no to like. Carla Bley's sometimes beautiful pieces are very much to the fore. A proper quintet record with strong contributions from all concerned. I like it.

5 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Maarten Altena - Tuning the Bass - (ICP, NL)

pretty fine series of snappy and grubby solo bass vignettes.

Nice.

Do you know his earlier ICP album "Handicaps"? He recorded that while recovering from a broken wrist, so he decided to "handicap" his double bass too by putting a plaster cast around its neck. A free improv concept album, as it were...

1 hour ago, rdavenport said:

Hank Mobley - Dippin'

A recent purchase, old hat to many I suppose. This group really cooks, especially in "Recado Bossa Nova". I love Harold Mabern and Billy Higgins in that tune.

Lovely album! :tup