Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

220px-THe_New_Don_Ellis_Band_Goes_Underg

Not a particularly good record, not at all,but this is where "Bulgarian Bulge lives. That and this: 

Proof, to me, that when Don Ellis was able to harness all that...whatever it was...In one place at one time, he could be one seriously dangerous motherfucker, in his own way, in his own world.

MI0001695504.jpg

Found for a buck, very rare and random pops, 99% perfect shape.

Seems like a good session, Ron Carter in tune and not sproingy at all. Howard Johnson filling uunorthodox roles all over the place, but I do miss a contrasting solo voice, and the recording seems muddled as hell...is this on CD, and if so, did they clean it up? 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Side 1 or Side 2?

I'm a side 1 guy myself, totally hypnotic. Tattooed Bride breaks the mood, a lot, so I usually just play Side 1 for a day or so.

Side 1 for me too - near perfection that side 2 can't live up to.

When it was issued on CD with three extra tracks, I was annoyed. Why add to something that was already done right? Now that I have an LP version, I almost feel as if it should be a one sided LP.

I have the version with the cover you posted, and old green Masterworks label, and the kind of low-level even surface noise that seems completely appropriate, as the music is still clear as hell and pops right through. That low grade background hiss almost creates the illusion of it being played live, outdoors, which is a pleasant image for me, anyway, just walking around outside and there's duke's band playing all this elegantly complex music of songs that everybody knows, just not like how they end up.

Funny, the first time I saw/heard the record was from a college acquaintance who also had an original 78 set of The Jazz Scene. He wouldn't let me borrow that, but he would the Ellington. that record just knocked me out, never had any idea that that era of the band ever recorded charts like that...it was Sonny Greer's last session it the band, right? All those kaleidoscopic, whirling variations of tonality and color and rhythm, and arrangements that were written long, you know, not made long by opening up for solos, it was all....flooring, really.

Finally had to return the record to the guy, and was bummed about that. Went looking for a copy, seemed that all that was in the stores was the modern reissue, blue-themed cover, maybe even rechanneled stereo, definitely that skinny vinyl, didn't want that, stayed away, finally a few years later, found that same edition, same cover, same label, hell, seemed like the same surface noise. Maybe the guy got tired of it, or maybe he lent it to the wrong person. Either way, I bought it on sight and nave had it ever since, such a gem of a record, and still not spoken of a notably in the Ellington canon as I feel it should be.

On 8/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, JSngry said:

MI0001695504.jpg

Found for a buck, very rare and random pops, 99% perfect shape.

Seems like a good session, Ron Carter in tune and not sproingy at all. Howard Johnson filling uunorthodox roles all over the place, but I do miss a contrasting solo voice, and the recording seems muddled as hell...is this on CD, and if so, did they clean it up? 

On 8/8/2016 at 6:08 AM, jazzbo said:

It's on CD and as I remember it sounds good.

I think ALL of Gato's records on Impulse -- and Flying Dutchman too -- are bad ass.  He was on a ridiculously good run from about 1970 to 1975.

This music is sometimes (often?) overlooked because of the more overtly commercial music that he made after that.