What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

3 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Jazz Workshop Bochum 1965 (Columbia, Germany). Today's find.  A NM copy of this album featuring Rolf Kuhn, Roman Dylag,  Idrees Sulieman, Ronnie Ross, Andrej Trzaskowski, and more.  Excellent music and well recorded too!  Paid $50 cad for it and feel it's worth every penny as I play it!

:tup!

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Clunky said:

R-1625504-1300352202.jpeg.jpg

Joe Harriott-------Swings High-------(Melodisc UK)

A rather beautiful album. More hardbop than Harriott's other sessions but very fine none the less. Good find yesterday in mint condition. 

Good album - I have a copy in similar condition, pristine sleeve. Rare front line feature for Stu Hamer. If I remember correctly it was recorded at some less than salubrious East End studio by Dobells.

6 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

I used to own that Harriott LP myself but got rid of it because I found the recording quality really poor/dull...

Just spun my copy - hardly Blue Note I agree and a bit of a thin recording but lovely music which I wouldn't want to be without. A time capsule of London mid-1967 really, right in the middle of a seriously bad dock strike period. The sleeve is full of spelling balls-ups - 'Dennis Pressland' , 'Joe Harriot' on the front, Doug Dobell's sleeve notes getting it wrong on the false starts. Not sure on the studio but the back room of an opium den in Limehouse wouldn't surprise me..:rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Just spun my copy - hardly Blue Note I agree and a bit of a thin recording but lovely music which I wouldn't want to be without. A time capsule of London mid-1967 really, right in the middle of a seriously bad dock strike period. The sleeve is full of spelling balls-ups - 'Dennis Pressland' , 'Joe Harriot' on the front, Doug Dobell's sleeve notes getting it wrong on the false starts. Not sure on the studio but the back room of an opium den in Limehouse wouldn't surprise me..:rolleyes:

I agree - great record indeed. Rough-hewn but beautiful music.

Now:

Derek Bailey - In Whose Tradition? - (Emanem, AU)

220px-Bud_Shank_%26_the_Sax_Section.jpg

In spite of wanting to (for sentimental reasons) I find myself unable to like, enjoy, or even particularly appreciate this record. Not even Ray Brown can make it move, or even give it the illusion of movement. It makes me appreciate Stan Kenton as a motivating force, because the approach here is Kenton-ian in terns of section work, but by god, Stan Kenton got his bands to PLAY,  ok? These shit is just....AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH.

OTOH, coolest picture of Bill Perkins, ever, on the back cover.

UPAC_PJ10110__53256__01152009024454-7912

Takeo Moriyama "flush up" (Teichiku, Japan). Intense modal/free jazz blast..

Oliver Nelson "the blues and the abstract truth" (impulse, AMPAR stereo).  With the "sculpture" pic inside inner gatefold.  I guess later issues have a photo of Oliver inside the gatefold.  This is my third copy of this classic and my final upgrade..super clean and phenomenal sound!  A total classic so worth the obsessiveness :)

1 hour ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Takeo Moriyama "flush up" (Teichiku, Japan). Intense modal/free jazz blast..

Oliver Nelson "the blues and the abstract truth" (impulse, AMPAR stereo).  With the "sculpture" pic inside inner gatefold.  I guess later issues have a photo of Oliver inside the gatefold.  This is my third copy of this classic and my final upgrade..super clean and phenomenal sound!  A total classic so worth the obsessiveness :)

:tup!