Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.bsnpubs.com/scepter/scepter/scepter541.jpg

The Original Tuxedo Jazz Band (Scepter). This is one of those albums that has deep meaning for me beyond the quality of the music, which is genial traditional New Orleans jazz - not profound, except in the way that all good New Orleans music has a touch of the profound lurking behind the good-time feel. The Tuxedo Jazz Band is the world's oldest continuously-performing jazz band in the world. The band was formed in 1910 by Oscar Celestin (then "Kid" Celestin, later "Papa" Celestin). This 1964 recording (originally for Saba) catches them about halfway through their journey, and well into the tenure of their third leader - and they are now only on their fifth. (Think about that!) After Celestin died in 1954, trombonist Eddie Pierson took over the leadership for a few years. Since then, the French family has led the band. Albert "Papa" French led the band for around 20 years, then his son Bob (the drummer) took over for almost 35 years. Bob's nephew Gerald has led the band for five years now.

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

http://blog-imgs-26.fc2.com/j/c/a/jcalife/20110730174850f9a.jpg

Rosemary Clooney - Love (Reprise stereo). There's a story, or a couple of stories, behind this one, but I'll just say here that this is one of the best Great American Songbook albums ever.

Along with Here. My Dear, it is also one of the most intense more-or-less-real-time breakup albums ever.

Over the last few years, I've been up and down, mostly down" with the whole GAS thing, I mean, it's time as too much more than revenue-generator is past and not turning around, but the thing about that stuff at its best, as here, was that if you got a singer and a ban who were really feeling the son, the lyrics, the melodies, the changes, the orchestrations, you could cut straight to the heart and get to some places that "popular music" in general are not really concerned with. In other words, you could make it onto soul music.

And in that sense, this is one of the most soulful records of any kind of music that anybody has ever made. "How Will I Remember You"....that's about as real as music gets, Not the only way to get there, but definitely there, hard.

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

:tup I heard a Sidney Bechet Blue Note when I was in college, and from the first note he played I knew that this was a musician I'd be listening to for the rest of my life.

Great story, Paul. Nothing quite like that electric jolt of recognition: OH! HERE'S SOMETHING!!!

Listen_to_Art_Farmer_and_the_Orchestra.j

Interesting to hear how the different recording strategies and, I suspect, the presence or absence of a few particular section players affect the immediate "Oliver Nelson-ness" of Oliver Nelson's charts, which are all pretty interesting, especially the introduction to "Street Of Dreams".

The New York Saxophone Quartet (jazz-classical) - 20th Century Fox Records, 1964. Quartet composed of Ray Beckenstein, Eddie Caine, Al Epstein, & Danny Bank. Compositions by Genes DiNovi & Orloff, George Handy, Manny Albam, a.o.

Pretty interesting record. Nice to hear those kinds of tones and pulses playing this kind of music...or is it that those kinds of tones and pulses are what makes this kind of music? 

Either way, fun record.

image004.jpg

Yeah dude, keep on walking, that church has Chet Atkins inside it. Find the one where Hovie Lister goes...oh, you say that's a picture of you leaving the session...ok, never mind then, have a nice day, jesus loves you anyway, and I know that Chet made some interesting production choices.

But next time, find Hovie Lister.