What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Right you are about Lacy. Stalks is a truly amazing record - actually, all those 1975 Japanese tour LPs are essential.

There's no "Clinker" in the bunch that he did for Hat Art/Hat Hut.

Well Lacy called that Japan tour in 1975 the "spiritual unity" tour and that makes sense; something very special occurred between those musicians.  I've been fortunate to have heard recordings from the live shows and they are equally stunning.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/Summit_Meeting.jpg/220px-Summit_Meeting.jpg   http://tommyrec.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Kid-Thomas-Valentine-%E2%80%8E%E2%80%93-Thomas-Valentine-At-Kohlmans-Tavern--200x200.jpg   http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/jjwAAOSwvgdW3k3W/s-l225.jpg

Summit Meeting (Vanguard). An all-star date featuring five artists signed to Vanguard at the time - Clark Terry, Bunky Green, James Moody, Roland Prince and Elvin Jones. Everyone plays well, but wow - Bunky Green!

Kid Thomas Valentine - Thomas Valentine at Kohlman's Tavern (New Orleans). Sweet and hot New Orleans dance music. I doubt that Kid Thomas cared at all whether what he was playing was "jazz."

Jerry McCain - Blues on the Move (Robox). Obscure Southern funk/blues from 1979.

Edited by jeffcrom

Freddie Redd, The Connection (Blue Note mono W. 63rd), Ben Allison, Quiet Revolution, and Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Trans Whistle (Prestige).

The Freddie Redd Connection is in terrible appearing condition, and was found misfiled n a MJQ LP cover, with no matching cover. Somehow, it still sounds pretty good, if noisy, played loud.

Akira Ishikawa "electrum" (HMV/Victor, Japan reissue). On paper this should be an incredible album, but it's merely interesting.  Not the sum of its parts and yet I still try to "get it" on repeated listening.  Just a bit unfocused...

Roy Brooks "beat" (workshop, USA orig). I've had this for a few years but I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd time I've played it..a nice album..obscure but worth tracking down.

Peter Brotzmann "for Adolph sax" (Bro, Germany). 

If I can stay awake I'll pull out the Schlippenbach on Quasar!

On 28/10/2016 at 6:04 PM, Clunky said:

Various artists --------- New Orleans Today Volume Two-------(77 records )

tracks from Kid Thomas, Peter Bocage, Dee Dee Pierce. Recorded 1962-1964. Some spirited playing even if fidelity can be a touch uneven.  deedeepierce.peterbocage...-neworleansto

I've got several test pressings from that Doug Dobell '77' label. Picked up for a pittance from Mole Jazz.

R-6804946-1434188034-5060.jpeg.jpg

22 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

DUKE ELLINGTON Ellington '66 REPRISE LP VG++ wlp

just got this only diff in is mine has not cover sticker :( its really amazing duke could do a record like this, id love to read what the ellington scholars thought of this.

Have this in the Ellington Reprise Mosaic set. I think the arrangements are actually quite good. 

Walter Bishop, Jr. Hot House (Muse)

Finally went record shopping in the Tampa area for the first time since our move and scored some interesting titles starting with this one which I had no idea about. Junior Cook and Bill Hardman on the frontline for half of it and I am pretty sure this never got a CD release so I had to jump on it.  Me likey so far.