What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Jimmy Giuffre - The Jimmy Giuffre Clarinet [Atlantic]

new arrival, purchased largely off the back of positive comments on this board. What a tremendous listen, so many facets to the playing and arrangements. I'll admit that the foot-tapping threw me on first listen (sounded more like a pressing faultĀ :rolleyes:)

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Jimmy Giuffre - The Jimmy Giuffre Clarinet [Atlantic]

new arrival, purchased largely off the back of positive comments on this board. What a tremendous listen, so many facets to the playing and arrangements. I'll admit that the foot-tapping threw me on first listen (sounded more like a pressing faultĀ :rolleyes:)

I'm happy you liked it.

On 05/12/2016 at 6:11 PM, Leeway said:

R-470627-1188121380.jpeg.jpg

Ā Modern Jazz From West Germany Wewerka Archive (1962-1968) ā€“Double LP. Ā Cool in a retro way, with harbingers of more audacious music to come for at least some of the musicians playing here.Ā 

Great 2LP set. Glad I picked up that one plus the other Wewerka compilation whilst they were available.

R-2706069-1315261726.jpeg.jpg

1964, with Herman Foster, Earl May, Bruno Carr, and Ray Barretto.

I don't own a turntable anymore, but I'm listening to a rip of this, which I just stumbled upon. Ā Not only had I never heard this album before (despite having a large Donaldson collection), I don't have any recollection of seeing this LP (or even the cover image) before. Ā I must have, but I just don't recognize it at all (seems like Argo albums tend to fly under the media radar, so I'm not as surprised). Ā Anyway, I do remember being aware of the title, but that's it. Ā Must have heard about it and forgot about it.Ā It was never released on CD as far as I know, but it's certainly worthy.

Loving "Poinciana", "Skylark", and Lou's solo on "People Will Say We're In Love" is a highlight for me.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'd like to hear some later Murray that is as "wow-ing" as his earlier work. There's a scrappiness to his playing, at least up through the early 80s, that later recordings didn't offer (to me) but I'm sure there must be some fine examples that've been missed.

R-2049383-1260825945.jpeg.jpg

(IMO) still there end of 1986Ā (Trio with Richard Davis and Joe Chambers) ....

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ah, thanks -- will check that one out. Loosely aware of its existence but have never heard the music.

I'd vote for this one too.Ā 1988 withĀ Ā Dave Burrell, Fred Hopkins and Ralph Peterson. As I hear it it gets to the essence of what Murray was (is) about - he plays these tunes as if they really mean something to him. Smoother than the earlier "scrappiness" but no less involving, I think

R-1114427-1193138962.jpeg.jpg

and I definitely agree about those Human Arts Ensemble records, Leeway

Edited by mjazzg

16 hours ago, mjazzg said:

David Murray - The London Concert [Cadillac]

Murray was one of my entry points into Jazz so I have a soft spot for his music. Revisiting this after a long while I hear why it made an impact on me but also why I tired of his prodigious output.

I was at that concert. Ā The first time I heard Mr Murray live.

Ā 

Edited by JohnS
double post