Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'd vote for this one too. 1988 with  Dave Burrell, Fred Hopkins and Ralph Peterson. As I hear it it gets to the essence of what Murray was (is) about - he plays these tunes as if they really mean something to him. Smoother than the earlier "scrappiness" but no less involving, I think

R-1114427-1193138962.jpeg.jpg

and I definitely agree about those Human Arts Ensemble records, Leeway

Thanks for the recommendations. 

Indeed, those HAE records on Circle are strong.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqUOKj8E5h19RvTuBOgOjbF!!Q~~/s-l300.jpg

Artie Shaw - In the Blue Room/In the Cafe Rouge (RCA Victor). I just found a mint copy of this 1961 double album complied from late-30s broadcasts. Sound and performances are excellent. It's fascinating to hear Joe Garland's full arrangement of "In the Mood," which runs over six minutes here. Glenn Miller cut out large chunks to get it to three minutes.

8 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

R-8150254-1456075311-1656.jpeg.jpg

This is a terrific album. :tup

I remember seeing McCorkle with Ingham's trio around the time that LP came out. They were the opposite group to either George Colemen or Cedar Walton I think. Not totally sure if Moss and Fairweather were in the lineup or if it was just the trio.

Edited by sidewinder

R-3352984-1435440333-1253.jpeg.jpg

Re: Susannah McCorkle

6 hours ago, BillF said:

I saw her sing at Ronnie Scott's once.

She had a sad life history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susannah_McCorkle

Yes, I can't help but think of her difficult life as I listen to her sing these Mercer lyrics with such clarity and conviction and joy. In fact, I can't listen to this great album very much because of that.  On "Dream" -  "things aren't as bad as they seem."  Unfortunately, they sometimes are. RIP Susannah McCorkle. 

Edited by John Tapscott

It must have been 1979 when I saw her, likely not long before she and Keith Ingham headed for the States. Like BillF, it was at Ronnie's. She seemed confident and upbeat on the stage as I recall, a fine performer.

Some good vocalists featured at Ronnie's during that period - Elaine Delmar, Marian Montgomery and Salena Jones come to mind.

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

It must have been 1979 when I saw her, likely not long before she and Keith Ingham headed for the States. Like BillF, it was at Ronnie's. She seemed confident and upbeat on the stage as I recall, a fine performer.

Some good vocalists featured at Ronnie's during that period - Elaine Delmar, Marian Montgomery and Salena Jones come to mind.

Not to mention Mark Murphy, whom I saw there during his UK period.

12 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Art Pepper, Living Legend (Contemporary). Appears to be autographed by Art Pepper, "To Ken," which is me. Thanks to whoever got this record signed for me many years ago, or a cruel joke if fake.

This platter definitely lives up to the expectations raised by its title ....