wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,663 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, optatio said:

This must be the Spanish reissue Discophon S4254 [1974] of Black Lion BLP 30125 [1966] = Debut DEB-131 [1960] + track „Just You, Just Me“:

That extra track "Just You Just Me" is probably on all the national Black Lion pressings. It's on my (US) AudioFidelity pressing (BL-159) too.

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

That extra track "Just You Just Me" is probably on all the national Black Lion pressings. It's on my (US) AudioFidelity pressing (BL-159) too.

I couldn't really answer Clifford Thornton's question about it. I have the U.S. AudioFidelity LP (bought years ago as a cut-out). Really glad I kept it.  

Edited by John Tapscott

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-943536-1278962994.jpeg.jpg

Arthur Blythe: The Grip

:tup:tup:tup!!!

3 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

I couldn't really answer Clifford Thornton's question about it. I have the U.S. AudioFidelity LP (bought years ago as a cut-out). Really glad I kept it.  

oh, was just wondering if it was the same music and it is, with the additional track as stated.

On 1/21/2017 at 2:58 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

this lp is definitely not available in large quantities, i would even love a beat up 5 dollar copy

On 1/21/2017 at 4:17 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

Facsimile LP reissues are/were around. Mine is an 80s reissue (no OJC!) marketed by Ace (UK) but pressed in Germany (though marked "Not licensed for sale in the USA & Canada") on the back sleeve... Cover looks every bit like the one uploaded by Paul Secor.

On top of this, this title may be one of the ones where the newer OJC pressing sounds better than the original. I've found a few like that.

Ornette Coleman - Town Hall, 1962 [ESP/Fontana]

Ornette Coleman - Crisis [Impulse]

Ornette Coleman - The Unprecedented Music Of [Passport]

Ornette Coleman - New York Is Now [Blue Note]

Ornette Coleman - Love Call [Blue Note]

somewhat of a binge today. Such uplifting music 

15 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

On top of this, this title may be one of the ones where the newer OJC pressing sounds better than the original. I've found a few like that.

i believe that, i would even be pleased to find the ojc

Gigi Gryce - and the Jazz Lab Quintet - (Riverside, orig stereo)'

lovely recent find.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Gigi Gryce - and the Jazz Lab Quintet - (Riverside, orig stereo)'

lovely recent find.

I really like that album.  Got a very clean 2nd issue(blue label) mono for not too much recently.  Days later I found out a friend had a white label original in his sell/trade pile but it was quite banged up so didn't feel that bad about it!

yeah, so far I prefer it to the Columbias but then again it's been ages since I've spun those.

28133052vf.jpg

FATTY GEORGE: DIXIE AUS DEM WIENERWALD. TELEFUNKEN NT 358 STEREO [1969]

Personnel: Fatty George (cl, ld), Oscar Klein (tp, co, g), Karl Drewo (ts), Willi Weerwald (tb), Bill Grah (p, vib), Joe Zawinul (p), Heinz Grah (b), Bob Blumenhoven (dr), Fats Edwards (voc)

Recorded 1956/57 in Hamburg. During this time, Fatty George was on stage at the "New Orleans", a former jazz lounge on the 'infamous' Reeperbahn in St. Pauli Hamburg!

>>> A special for Soulpope <<<

Stan Tracey Big Brass - We Love You Madly featuring Tony Coe, Ian Carr, Joe Harriott, Don Rendell and (Mr) Acker Bilk.

stan-tracey-we-love-you-madly-cover-1850

2 hours ago, RogerF said:

Stan Tracey Big Brass - We Love You Madly featuring Tony Coe, Ian Carr, Joe Harriott, Don Rendell and (Mr) Acker Bilk.

stan-tracey-we-love-you-madly-cover-1850

Good one - with added bonus that you can view the same lineup and tunes on the 'Jazz 625' Ellington tribute show. Ian C. has a nice flugel feature on 'I'm Beginning To See The Light'.

8 hours ago, optatio said:

28133052vf.jpg

FATTY GEORGE: DIXIE AUS DEM WIENERWALD. TELEFUNKEN NT 358 STEREO [1969]

Personnel: Fatty George (cl, ld), Oscar Klein (tp, co, g), Karl Drewo (ts), Willi Weerwald (tb), Bill Grah (p, vib), Joe Zawinul (p), Heinz Grah (b), Bob Blumenhoven (dr), Fats Edwards (voc)

Recorded 1956/57 in Hamburg. During this time, Fatty George was on stage at the "New Orleans", a former jazz lounge on the 'infamous' Reeperbahn in St. Pauli Hamburg!

>>> A special for Soulpope <<<

Much appreciated :D ... as a matter of fact our home in the 60's was neighbouring to the house of Fatty George - so could hear rehearse him btw having jam sessions very often .... he could also play classical music adequately ....

Edited by soulpope

9 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

tumblr_inline_nr4vo4ZKO01sryybn_500.jpg

Excellent Jimmy Heath effort - and Barry Harris is superb here ....