wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

37,974 posts in this topic

More glorious mono:

R-5208528-1395512357-8687.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basso/ Valdambrini Quintet-------Fonit H602 H603------(Rearward)

 

Very fine library music from what clearly on this evidence a superb outfit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2223237-1270785723.jpeg.jpg

Baaba Maal: Baayo (Mango)

Stunning vocals by Baaba Maal ....

Edited by soulpope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duke Ellington, Mood Ellington (Columbia ten inch). A 1949 release of 1948 material; this copy is a bit noisy but the sound of the Ellington Orchestra is extremely vivid.

Jackie McLean, Let Freedom Ring (Blue Note). A blue label, '70s reissue; but still I was happy to find it for $7, as it sounds good and is still marked Van Gelder in the inner groove.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-8934614-1473415982-8019.jpeg.jpg

Edmond Hall - Rumpus on Rampart Street (Rae-Cox)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22184.jpg

Bobby Bradford, Hafez Modirzadeh, Mark Dresser and Alex Cline - NoBusiness.

3 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-8934614-1473415982-8019.jpeg.jpg

Edmond Hall - Rumpus on Rampart Street (Rae-Cox)

Nice date - I had it on a budget Mount Vernon issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Edmond Hall - Rumpus on Rampart Street (Rae-Cox)

Nice date - I had it on a budget Mount Vernon issue.

For a while, I had that one as well, because it has an alternative version of one tune. At some point it just seemed silly to keep both. But yeah, I like this album a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-4258542-1359935122-3565.jpeg.jpg

Steve Lacy - The Kiss (Lunatic). Recorded in Hiroshima in 1986.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, jeffcrom said:

R-4258542-1359935122-3565.jpeg.jpg

Steve Lacy - The Kiss (Lunatic). Recorded in Hiroshima in 1986.

One of his rarest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

One of his rarest?

It's right up there, I think. Musically and sonically excellent, as well, although there are one or two live solo records I like as well or better.

Edited by jeffcrom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-2084360-1277669307.jpeg.jpg

Lonesome Road Blues - 15 Years in the Mississippi Delta (Yazoo)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sonny Rollins, Our Man in Jazz (RCA Living Stereo)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Sonny Rollins, Our Man in Jazz (RCA Living Stereo)

:tup The first Sonny Rollins album I listened to (probably wasn't the best place to start for someone new to the music, but it worked out) and still a favorite. My copy's a mono. It was long enough ago that I didn't have a stereo player. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, paul secor said:

:tup The first Sonny Rollins album I listened to (probably wasn't the best place to start for someone new to the music, but it worked out) and still a favorite. My copy's a mono. It was long enough ago that I didn't have a stereo player. :)

I assume you have this (Sonny Rollins Complete Live at the Village Gate)? https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Live-Village-Gate-1962/dp/B00W4L0MWO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1502556099&sr=1-1&keywords=sonny+rollins+village+gate

Jimmy Smith at the Organ, Volume 2 (Dark blue label, stereo issue).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank Ricotti Quartet - Our Point Of View [CBS/Realm]

pleased to finally pick up a NM copy at an affordable price. Does anyone (Sidewinder?) know what the rather imposing cover image is of?

Image result for Frank Ricotti Quartet - Our Point Of View

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah -- still looking for a vinyl copy of that one!

Now:

Jazz Contemporaries -- Reasons In Tonality -- (Strata-East, US)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Frank Ricotti Quartet - Our Point Of View [CBS/Realm]

pleased to finally pick up a NM copy at an affordable price. Does anyone (Sidewinder?) know what the rather imposing cover image is of?

Image result for Frank Ricotti Quartet - Our Point Of View

I have that LP but other than admiring the fine ancient tree at the back I've never really wondered what was going on in the picture. Hooded effigy hanging from an ancient tree - in English folklore, traditionally associated with rural hangings of highwaymen or bandits. That's my interpretation anyway..:D

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

 

Now:

Jazz Contemporaries -- Reasons In Tonality -- (Strata-East, US)

I have that one..........somewhere....:g

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Yeah - I did pick that up against my better judgement. I usually don't buy recordings that aren't authorized by the musician involved - especially if they're still living. I made an exception in this case, and I feel a little guilty when I listen to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I have that LP but other than admiring the fine ancient tree at the back I've never really wondered what was going on in the picture. Hooded effigy hanging from an ancient tree - in English folklore, traditionally associated with rural hangings of highwaymen or bandits. That's my interpretation anyway..:D

 

Sounds plausible enough for me on a Sunday morning...lovely album even if the cover's macabre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Sunday morning with Ray Bryant and a fine tasting capuccino - what more can you ask for?

R-3062879-1313962830.jpeg.jpg

This includes Bryant's own first recording of his tune "Cubano Chant" - Cal Tjader's was done a few months earlier, and it had been Tjader who suggested the title and the use of a Cuban rhythm. Before that it had been a gospel tinged tune, and, ironically, Bryant recorded it with this feeling, but only later. Candido sometimes shifts the tumbao during the theme sections ..... not enough rehearsal time?

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.