What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

I guess this is one case where the reissue tops the original. Except maybe not to the extremist collector who doesn't listen to what's in their collection and just looks at their LPs. There must be one or two of those around.

Considering how collectible (or should I say nerdy? :g) labels such as Transition are by now, these "one or two" must all be in Japan or Korea by now. ;)

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I have a Japanese copy as well. From what I've read, I wouldn't want an original. I've heard that the vinyl is noisy and the labels usually fall off.

Same here. Mine is a King pressing, bought from the wonderful Mr Tanno.

I think I once saw an extortionate copy of the original at a (now gone) London store and yes, it was beaten up and one of the labels was missing. Not sure if the booklet was there. ;)

Edited by sidewinder

Ahhh, here it is:

On 8/15/2004 at 8:37 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Everyone keeps saying Transition "vinyl" but the Transitions were injection molded with styrene, a cheap substitute and very brittle. You can spot these since they have labels attached with glue and they "ring" when tapped on the edge.

If you have any old Columbia 45s, you know what I mean.

R-2211588-1399512225-8267.jpeg.jpg

Best pic I could find of this 1973 reissue on the Homespun Records label of this album:

708040.jpg

Back in July I listened to a CD of a concert recording of Lu Watters playing with Turk Murphy's band in 1963.  That concert was a fundraiser for a campaign against a proposed nuclear power plant Pacific Gas & Electric wanted to build in Bodega Bay, right along the San Andreas fault.  This album was recorded about the same time, with the proceeds from its sale also going to that campaign.  Lu Watters had not touched a trumpet in years and as he wrote in the extensive liner notes (mostly about the battle against the plant)  included on the reissued album about a jam session/concert/protest held at the site of the proposed plant:

After a twelve year layoff. some very queer sounds came out of the trumpet when I sat in with Turk's band.  But, as Louis used to say, "It was a gas!" -- the band was stomping, the crowd was with it, and Turk and Helm sounded better than ever.  The occasion brought back memories a quarter of a century old when the three of us would sometimes drive to one of San Francisco's cliffs and jam all night long.

That last part is a beautiful image.  This was to be a one-off project for Lu Watters and he did not return to his music career.  I guess it's an indication of how forgotten he is today even in the SF music scene that I found a still sealed copy of this LP for $1.95.