• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Louis Moholo Moholo’s Five Blokes————Uplift the people———(Ogun)

Beautiful presented and paced set. Of course our worthy constituent plays mean piano here but there is stunning playing all over this.

Ezontakana has a glorious soprano sax solo with grumbling tenor sax in the background. I’m assuming that Yarde is on soprano there as liner notes don’t make it clear which sax either are playing. Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrica gives me goosebumps and tense of shame that I swallowed the media lies of the early 80s regarding Mandela et al.

Ooops....... wrong thread as this is a CD not vinyl.....

Edited by Clunky

55 minutes ago, Clunky said:

This is standout set on the Mosaic. If truth be told I had around half of the material already but felt compelled to get the set. X-75 being a significant factor.

It's an extraordinary album, a favourite amongst many of Mr Threadgill's.

I have all the music in the box on LP/CD apart from the unreleased partner session to X-75. Sometimes when I listen to X-75 I think I should have bought the box just for that session but then sense prevails...it's long gone into the stratosphere of out-of-print Mosaic pricing now

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

Louis Moholo Moholo’s Five Blokes————Uplift the people———(Ogun)

Beautiful presented and paced set. Of course our worthy constituent plays mean piano here but there is stunning playing all over this.

Ezontakana has a glorious soprano sax solo with grumbling tenor sax in the background. I’m assuming that Yarde is on soprano there as liner notes don’t make it clear which sax either are playing. Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrica gives me goosebumps and tense of shame that I swallowed the media lies of the early 80s regarding Mandela et al.

On vinyl? Interesting to see Ogun riding the wave

It wasn't just the media, our dear leader of the time did her best to thoroughly besmirch the man - another moment in the catalogue of her shame (oops, sorry political alert)

Edited by mjazzg

28 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-1350598-1269691796.jpeg.jpg

Prince Lawsha - Firebirds Live At Berkeley Jazz Festival, Volume 2 [Birdseye]

Volume 1 also good. Live sound is a little dense. It’s one of those recordings that’s improved more than average with hifi upgrades 

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Volume 1 also good. Live sound is a little dense. It’s one of those recordings that’s improved more than average with hifi upgrades 

I like vol.1 too.

Vol.3 is currently in the post. If I stopped buying all these LPs I might be able to afford an upgrade :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2065433-1261939203.jpeg.jpg

Old and New Dreams (ECM)

Ed Blackwell was an amazingly subtle drummer, and not just in the studio. He was the same live, at least when I heard him.

Amen to your statement about Ed Blackwell .... btw superb platter ....