What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

11 hours ago, sidewinder said:

cover.jpg

One of the more offbeat Herbie releases.. actually a Jonathan Klein project. Trunk LP.

Hints of ‘Speak Like A Child’, interestingly.

Often wondered about that one, such an interesting line up. I like the sound of those hints

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like it !  Herbie produces some lovely lyrical solos and with that lineup, how can you go wrong.

Apparently it was an ad-hoc session at Union scale, with Herbie getting twice scale  as ‘musical director’. The arrangements were by teenager Jonathan Klein, who plays french horn and baritone sax (!) on the session. Just another routine session for Herbie and co but a quiet gem nevertheless. Both Ron Carter and Herbie have expressed very positive recollections over it. Jonathan Klein apparently hates it.

The original US release was only sold in synogogues and sold just a couple of hundred copies apparently. Trunk’s LP version was said to be 500 but I’m not sure if that many were actually sold.

A ‘curate’s egg’ (or should I say, Rabbi’s egg) - but an enjoyable and fascinating one. The Trunk LP is a needle drop from one of the rare originals but is excellently done. The master tapes are AWOL.

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I like it !  Herbie produces some lovely lyrical solos and with that lineup, how can you go wrong.

Apparently it was an ad-hoc session at Union scale, with Herbie getting twice scale  as ‘musical director’. The arrangements were by teenager Jonathan Klein, who plays french horn and baritone sax (!) on the session. Just another routine session for Herbie and co but a quiet gem nevertheless. Both Ron Carter and Herbie have expressed very positive recollections over it. Jonathan Klein apparently hates it.

The original US release was only sold in synogogues and sold just a couple of hundred copies apparently. Trunk’s LP version was said to be 500 but I’m not sure if that many were actually sold.

A ‘curate’s egg’ (or should I say, Rabbi’s egg) - but an enjoyable and fascinating one. The Trunk LP is a needle drop from one of the rare originals but is excellently done. The master tapes are AWOL.

Thanks, I'll look out for it

R-3061853-1313933079.jpeg.jpg

John Coltrane - Ascension [HMV UK, mono]

Replacement for my slightly tired Jasmine pressing

I can still remember hearing this for the first time in the first years of my Jazz listening and being scared witless :) 

Needless to say a different reaction today although how the neighbours are reacting could be similar

On 03/08/2018 at 6:37 PM, sidewinder said:

Interesting - one I didn’t know about, put out by EMI India originally I guess

Yes. on EMI India. It's on spotify if you want to sample.  I think it's a great album, less Indo-Jazz fusion, a la Mayer etc, than Indian musicians (some of whom are Jazz players) playing Jazz, to my ears at least

118127276.jpg

Love the cover, and the music too, although the cover reveals its charms significantly more immediately. But post-Apple MJQ has more differences from pre-Apple MJQ than might be apparent from a non-invested listening. If nothing else, the new recording technology allowed Percy ?Heath to prominate in the mix, and that sorta changes everything if you want it to.

Red Garland, Satin Doll (Prestige, 1983 issue)

Hal McKusick, Cross Section--Saxes (Decca stereo). Arrangements by George Russell, Jimmy Giuffre, Ernie Wilkins and George Handy.

Kenny Burrell, Soul Call (Prestige mono)

Edited by kh1958

ClareFischer_Extension.png

Clare Fischer Orchestra featuring Jerry Coker - Extension (Discovery; originally released on Pacific Jazz)

31 minutes ago, paul secor said:

R-3132591-1331559596.jpeg.jpg

Bill Barron/Booker Ervin: The Hot Line (Savoy Jazz)

I bet that sounds great. I need to track down that LP. ;) 

9 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Kenny Burrell, Soul Call (Prestige mono)

I think that's one of KB's very best records. :tup:tup:tup 

Edited by HutchFan